Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jayheyl
Punch Card
Views: 18,897
Message 1 of 25

W530 RAM questions

Just got my W530. I ordered it with 4GB factory installed RAM and bought 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance separately. I've installed the extra RAM in the easy access slots on the bottom. The computer recognizes all 20GB. 

I'm reluctant to pull the keyboard to remove the factory-installed RAM if I don't need to. So, question #1, am I paying a performance penalty in the current configuration? Would memory access be faster if I pulled the 4GB?

Question #2, most everything I've read online leads me to believe there are two SO-DIMM slots under the keyboard, but the drawings in the service manual make it appear there is only one slot there. Are there four total SO-DIMM slots in the W530? I ask because if I'm going to go to the trouble of pulling the keyboard to get at the RAM, I'd be inclined to toss in another 2x8GB while I have it apart. I currently have no use for that much RAM, but it's so cheap right now there's little reason not to install it if I've gone to the trouble of removing the keyboard.

webo
Serial Port
Views: 18,870
Message 2 of 25

Re: W530 RAM questions

I did the same things as you (got the same Corsair RAM also)

Having the stock RAM did result in a slight performance hit (RAM was running at 666Mhz instead of 800Mhz) It translated into about a 7% performance hit in Geekbench

There are two slots under the keyboard, I actually moved both my Corsair sticks there but it doesn't matter how you configure them according to a Lenovo employee who posted in a previous thread about the dual-channel configurations.

Thinkpad W530: i7-3720QM, K1000M, FHD Screen, 16 GB PC12800, 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 18,865
Message 3 of 25

I'd remove the keyboard and remove the stock RAM. This will not void you warranty and is a simple process. You remove 3 screws from the bottom of the machine, the two for the RAM compartment and one more than have a keyboard symbol net to it. You then push the 3 mouse buttons up until the keyboard comes free. Replacement goes in reverse.

webo
Serial Port
Views: 18,857
Message 4 of 25

There's actually only 2 screws to remove the keyboard on the W530

Thinkpad W530: i7-3720QM, K1000M, FHD Screen, 16 GB PC12800, 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
screamingv8
Paper Tape
Views: 18,814
Message 5 of 25

I have plans to instal two 8 gb corsair vengence sticks when my W530 comes, I was wondering if I configure the memory in the slots that are outlined in this thread below if they will run that the full 800mhz speed if I keep in the stock 4gb module.  That would make for 20gb of RAM.  Thanks in advance!

Here is the thread I am referring to-  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Optimizing-memory-in-W510-which-slots-to-use/t...

Carcozep
Punch Card
Views: 18,801
Message 6 of 25

One thing you should be aware of. Never put 1 or 3 sticks of RAM. Yes, that is a good topic and should be a guideline as to where to mount the RAM SO-DIMM so that you have Dual channel working because lack of Dual Channel will be a bigger hit than memory frequency Smiley Wink 

screamingv8
Paper Tape
Views: 18,784
Message 7 of 25

If that was the case then why does lenovo offer the 4gb in 1 stick from the factory?  I would like to have the 800 mhz speed, even if the final 4gb is not dual channel.  By reading the link that I reffered to above, it seems like if I arrange the memory as it describes it should allow the first 16gb that I have in there be in dual channel, and final 4 gb (the factory module) should not be dual channel since it is not paired.  I just hope it runs at full speed.  Am I understanding that correctly?

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 18,729
Message 8 of 25

@screamingv8 wrote:

I have plans to instal two 8 gb corsair vengence sticks when my W530 comes, I was wondering if I configure the memory in the slots that are outlined in this thread below if they will run that the full 800mhz speed if I keep in the stock 4gb module.  That would make for 20gb of RAM.  Thanks in advance!

Here is the thread I am referring to-  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Optimizing-memory-in-W510-which-slots-to-use/t...

The modules that come with the W530 likely are not 1600Mhz. So no, the 1600Mhz modules you install will not run at full speed with the stock modules installed.

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 18,729
Message 9 of 25

@Carcozep wrote:

One thing you should be aware of. Never put 1 or 3 sticks of RAM. Yes, that is a good topic and should be a guideline as to where to mount the RAM SO-DIMM so that you have Dual channel working because lack of Dual Channel will be a bigger hit than memory frequency Smiley Wink 

Newer Intel processors have a work around that keeps dual channel mode in operation with 3 sticks. It's not quite real dual-channel mode though since it uses a hack to achieve this. In any case you only want to use modules that are the same make/model in your machine. This ensures that they all have the exact same specification. Running different modules in a system often leads to blue screens that cannot be resolved without removing some of the RAM.

Former Administrator
Views: 18,713
Message 10 of 25

JDay, Webo,

Thanks for helping to fill in the community understanding of W530 memory configs !

Webo, thanks for the benchmarking feedback.   Aside from benchmarks, can you tell much in the way of "feel" of the system opening applications, doing normal activities?

Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors