Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chadwick17
Token Ring
Views: 775
Message 1 of 4

W530 Updates Through Windows Update

Quick question about applying updates to my W530:

Is it ok to run updates for hardware (graphics, screen, etc.) through Windows Update as they become available? Or should I avoid this and run them through Lenovo's update tools?

I'm a little skeptical about the graphics card(s) updates since reading some posts on these forums about trouble with updating and Nvidia Optimus

Thanks!

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, i7-8650U, Intel 620 UHD Integrated Graphics, 2560x1440 HDR WQHD Display, 16GB LPDDR3 1600 RAM, 1 TB SSD
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 759
Message 2 of 4

Re: W530 Updates Through Windows Update

'morning...

as a general rule, i update hardware drivers using ThinkVantage System Update and double-check against the proper driver matrix, not via Windows Update. one notable exception was the Win7 video driver for my T60p as there never was a Lenovo driver.

in case you didn't have it, here's the W530 matrix: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT073837

hth.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

chadwick17
Token Ring
Views: 734
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your feedback. I have gone through the ThinkVantage System Update and noticed that Windows has updates for hardware that do not appear in the ThinkVantage System Update. They are the Intel Graphics Adapter, nVidia Graphics Adapter and Lenovo ThinkPad Display. Should I just avoid updating these until they show up in the ThinkVantage System Update software?

The Windows Updates for each say they were released in August for the Intel Display driver and July for the nVidia display driver. If I look at that driver matrix correctly, it looks like both of the display drivers have a date of July 1, 2012. I can't find anything in the driver matrix for the Lenovo ThinkPad Display.

Everything seems to be working fine as it is now and am wondering if I should just ignore these particular windows updates.

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, i7-8650U, Intel 620 UHD Integrated Graphics, 2560x1440 HDR WQHD Display, 16GB LPDDR3 1600 RAM, 1 TB SSD
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 727
Message 4 of 4

chadwick17 wrote:

Everything seems to be working fine as it is now and am wondering if I should just ignore these particular windows updates.

well then, you can afford to take a step back to see if the Lenovo matrix reconciles versions.
again, my preference has always been to get hardware drivers from hardware sites.

regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals