Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zosxavius
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 902
Message 1 of 15

W530: Won't boot Windows 10 or Linux with dedicated graphics

So long story short I replaced my first W530 with another about six months ago. I rarely use it on battery power, but the other day I neeeded it so I went to go turn off Optimus and force only integrated graphics because A) it uses less power: even with the nvidia not being utilized in optimus mode it seems to draw power in an idle state and B) Because the nvidia GPU is more or less powered it throttles the machine to 1.2ghz. For some reason, Windows 10 will not load past the logo. It just stops. I tried the installation disk for the fall creators edition and it was the same deal though I did get to the spinning balls before it quit. I tried Knoppix which is a live boot distro. It worked ok with Optimus but the only way to get acceleration and multiple monitors was to force the Quadro only via the BIOS and then it seemed to work just fine. I even played some windows games via wine on it which kind of blew me away frankly. I tried a Windows 7 install ISO and that loaded and got to the install screen using only the default VGA drivers.  If I try to force Windows 10 to use safe mode by itself, or with the low resolution option (vga drivers) it just freezes and refuses to boot. 

That leaves two options here at this point. Either I have a broken HD4000 on my i7-3740QM or the the newer BIOS that was released last fall broke something. On my old W530 it booted Windows 10 with the intel GPU just fine. Seeing as how optimus works and that it offloads most of the processing to the intel chip before it calls the nvidia gpu I honestly can't see how this gpu could be bad. I mean it is doing 3d rendering right now just displaying windows. It doesn't really make any sense to me, but I've kind of run out of options other than trying older BIOSes. I *did* look around and A) cannot find any repositories of older W530 bios files and B) discovered that the lenovo updaters really don't like it if you try to regress the BIOS.

Can anyone out there with a fully updated W530 on the latest BIOS at least confirm that it will boot the latest Win10 fine with only the intel GPU so I can assume it is something just funky with my hardware? Being locked to 1.2ghz on battery isn't really an ideal situation IMO. 

zosxavius
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 882
Message 2 of 15

Re: W530: Won't boot Windows 10 or Linux with dedicated graphics

So it gets stranger by the day. It does in fact boot Knoppix with just the integrated. However it runs EXTREMELY slowly, like a 386 is trying to power the system. A boot off a flash drive normally takes about 5-10s. Here it takes 10 minutes. The desktop is completely unusable due to the slowness. Clicking on anything takes decades for it to respond. I open up the console and that works mostly ok (if a bit slowly) and start top and sure enough Xorg and the framebuffer are both maxing out the CPU in equal amounts. I honestly think a recent BIOS update has done something to break running off the integrated GPU only. It seems functional but there is clearly some kind of hangup here that I can't seem to explain at all. I looked at what the linux kernel was saying as it booted and nothing really looked out of the ordinary. 

Edit: Haha it seems that designed the bios software or the bios itself to keep from reverting as mentioned speicifically on their bios update page for the W530. It seems that the latest version (2.69) prevents rollback because it has fixes for secure boot within. It seems there is no way to revert to an older BIOS.

Stepinsky
Punch Card
Views: 847
Message 3 of 15

Same issue here

I have the same issue with Windows 10. I was switching between Optimus and integrated graphics back and forth when I had to keep energy consumption as low as possible. One day it stopped. Now I can't boot in Intel-only graphics mode.

I don't know if it's a bios problem or if it's related to a Windows version update or a new graphics driver.

This issue annoys me, because when runtime matters, running on integrated graphics saved 2-3 W.

zosxavius
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 840
Message 4 of 15

Re: Same issue here

Yes. It seems to be some sort of BIOS incompatibility. They pushed a new BIOS last fall. It has to be one of the newer updates. Its not Windows. Linux has the same problem when it goes to load the intel drivers. The fact that it boots to a desktop EVENTUALLY tells me that the built in HD4000 is fine and something in the system is awry. Ok. How do we get a tech to look at this??

PS. Thank you so much for confirming that it isn't just a problem with my hardware. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 830
Message 5 of 15

Hello,

Out of curiosity, have you checked to see if the fan is spinning up correctly all the way?  The firmware typically throttle the CPU/GPU speeds down if it senses the temperature is too high, in an attempt to get them to run at a safer temperature.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
zosxavius
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 822
Message 6 of 15

Fan is working fine here. It throttles up as the CPU heats.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 803
Message 7 of 15

Hello,

Have you tried running Lenovo's UEFI Bootable Diagnostics?  Did they return any useful information?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
zosxavius
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 788
Message 8 of 15

I went through the hoops of downloading that, flashing it to a drive and finding out that its basically the same exact diagnostic set that is built into my BIOS, but with mouse support and prettier graphics. Suffice to say, neither has returned any errors with only the intel GPU enabled. Their last update mostly addressed secure mode. Since I cannot boot my Windows 10 installation with it disabled entirely I'll try to see if disabling enables a linux live USB boot.
zosxavius
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 764
Message 9 of 15

Nope. Nada. I have pretty much exhausted all the BIOS settings. I don't think there is any way to make this work with just the integrated graphics anymore sadly. I get the feeling if I swap my CPU with a somewhat lesser spare it will have the same problem if someone else has the exact same symptoms. The intel GPU is obviously working or Optimus wouldn't be functioning at all. It certainly wouldn't be rendering on the GPU if something was wrong with it. The W530 is highly dependent on the intel GPU. Even with the dedicated graphics forced on it still uses the intel GPU to render the display on the laptop itself. It wouldn't boot, post and enter various VGA modes if it were somehow disfunctional. I don't get it. Clearly Lenovo broke something that was working fine before. 

zosxavius
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 762
Message 10 of 15

Is there any way to get someone to look at this? Seems like a bug. 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors