Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madtroll
Paper Tape
Views: 1,466
Message 11 of 15

Re: W530 & mSata

To build upon this question:

I currently have a W530 with a 500GB HD and 16GB mSATA. I have upgraded my ram to 32GB and I am looking for further performance boosts and I am considering swapping out my HD for a Samsung 840 evo ssd.

If I do this then is the mSata effectively useless? Should I swap it out for something else or can it still imporve performance by being in there?

Also, what is the best way to image my current drive and put it on the new drive?

indicium
802.11n
Views: 1,446
Message 12 of 15

If you put an SSd as your primary drive, your mSata is not needed and you can remove it.  However, if you add a HD with an adapter in the Ultrabay then you can still use the mSata to cache the data on it.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,397
Message 13 of 15

Is the SATA II bottleneck noticeable with faster mSATA drives? I am putting a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB mSATA SSD into my W530 when it arrives to be used as the primary partition for Windows 7. I don't care if it caps it at around 300MB/sec as long as the IOPS are still normal, which they will be I'm pretty sure. I don't think I would notice a 300MB/sec bottleneck, especially since the 840 EVO can only hit 500+MB/sec for the first 3GB of a file copy (or is it files under 3GB in size? I forget), after which it reduces to around 300MB/sec.

I want to have a config with mSATA SSD as primary drive, 500GB hard drive for storage, and leave the DVD-RW in the ultrabay for the rare times I might need it. However, if the mSATA speed is an issue, I could give up the DVD-RW and get a 2.5" drive caddy, put the 500GB in the caddy and my other Samsung 840 EVO 2.5" SSD into the main drive bay and return the mSATA SSD. Then in the rare cases of needing the DVD-RW, I could swap out the 500GB non-OS drive.

I'm pretty sure I won't mind the SATA II bottleneck, but was hoping for someone with this config to confirm or disconfirm my thoughts. Some benchmarks of modern mSATA's on the W530 would be great to see, but I can't find any other than this one with a somewhat unknown SSD that claims over 500MB/sec write speeds and the guys only gets 155MB/sec: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W530-hard-disk-benchmark-and-as-asd-bechmark/t...

Also, I might just get a Crucial M500 240GB mSATA for $20 more than the 120GB Samsung 840 EVO since I'm getting bottlenecked by SATA II anyway. Yet it's the random 4k read & write speeds that the 840 EVO smokes the M500 at, which might not be bottlenecked by the SATA II interface...

EDIT: I will do a test when I get the laptop. What I'll do is: run some benchmarks with the mSATA 840 EVO and compare it with benchmarks ran on a 2.5" 840 EVO. Both SSD's are 120GB and should be pretty much identical in performance. I'll try to do some realistic tests along with benchmarks. That will help me and others decide whether or not the mSATA is fast enough to satisfy.

indicium
802.11n
Views: 1,380
Message 14 of 15

I have the mSata configured for 32 GB Express Cache with with 2 HGST 1 TB HDD's and 16 GB Memory.  When I has 8 GB Ram, it booted to the desktop in 34.5 seconds, now with the 16 GB, it boots in 27 seconds.  I use IBM Notes and on my T410 it took 45 seconds just to get the program running and another 10 seconds to download email, now on the W530, it takes just 15 seconds to load the program and get the mail.

On the T410, I used to boot the machine and go get my morning coffee then when i came back, I still had to login to the desktop (another 10-15 seconds).  Now, I just bring my coffee to my desk and boot then, bring up Notes and I'm good to go.

I haven't stressed it out yet on running Nested VM's to see what kind of performance I can get over the 8 GB T410, but I know it will run circles around it.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 1,349
Message 15 of 15

OK I ran a little SSD benchmark on my mSATA 120GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD and my 2.5" version of the same. Obviously, the 2.5" running on SATA3 gets better numbers than the mSATA running at SATA2 speeds. The real-world difference is fairly negligible, though I need to do some more benchmarking of things like Windows boot-up time and some file copies.

Oh, also worth noting is that the mSATA drive was the OS drive during this benchmark, while the 2.5" was just a blank secondary drive.

Here are the screenshots. I switched to IOPS view for each drive too so you can see more than just the transfer rate.

mSATA version first:

mSATA_bench.png

Internal 2.5" version:

Internal_bench.png

EDIT: I just learned of something Samsung has called RAPID mode that I should try enabling. I guess I need to install Samsung Magician software or something.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors