Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bendamon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,211
Message 1 of 15

W530 and Windows 8: Bluetooth not running, Fn+F5 not working

Hi,

I'm experiencing various issues after installing Windows 8 Pro 64 (clean install) on my W530.

Aside from the device Manager showing 4 unknown devices, I by all means cannot get Bluetooth to work. Neither BT devices nor the BT Adapter itself is detected. When I try to install the latest Windows 8 "ThinkPad Bluetooth Enhance Data Rate Software", setup will quit stating there's no BT adapter.

Fn+F5 doesn't work either (nothing happens), even though I have the hotkey Feature installed. Bluetooth is enabled in the BIOS.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ben

Guru
Views: 12,161
Message 2 of 15

Re: W530 and Windows 8: Bluetooth not running, Fn+F5 not working

is the switch on the side of the PC on? if its not on, the software will complain that the BT hardware doesn't exist.

I am a volunteer. Please post your questions in the forum, as I will not reply if they are sent in a personal message.

W530(2436-CTO): i7-3720QM, HD4000 + K2000M, 32GB RAM, 1TB, 750GB Ultrabay, 250GB mSATA , Ubuntu 18.04, Ultimate-N 6300.
TP Yoga 14(20FY): i5-6200U, HD 520 + 940M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Wireless 8260, Ubuntu 18.04
Yoga Home 900(27ibu): i7-5500, HD5500 + 940A, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Windows Insider Fast
bendamon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,159
Message 3 of 15

Hi, yes, it's on... Wireless also works.

s1148625
Punch Card
Views: 12,119
Message 4 of 15

I am experiencing the same problem on my T430s. FN+F5 toggles Airplane mode (i.e., disables the wireless card), but bluetooth is nowhere to be found. Since I can't power on the bluetooth card, I can't install the drivers. I even put back my old HD with Windows 7 and turned on the BT before powering off, but it remains inactive in Windows 8. Has anybody successfully used bluetooth with Windows 8 on a ThinkPad?

angelgl86
What's DOS?
Views: 11,920
Message 5 of 15

I have a  U400 and I have the same issue.

OGThink
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,854
Message 6 of 15

Hi with windows 8 you can now use the built in controls to enable or disable certain wireless features like Bluetooth. If you bring up the charms bar and go to settings (or press windows key + I) and select change pc settings, this will bring you to the new "metro" control panel, here you will see a section for wireless. So long as your Bluetooth device is installed correctly with the proper drivers from Lenovo you will see two "sliders" or "switches" for wireless and Bluetooth. If its grey it means it has been turned off so just click it to turn it on. If you don't see the Bluetooth slider there then that means either your machine doesn't have Bluetooth or its not installed correctly.

AltairMS
Punch Card
Views: 11,839
Message 7 of 15

I have the same problem. Lenovo drivers can't be installed because system wasn't able to detect Bluetooth. There is no option how to turn it on (in Metro System Settings, there is only option to turn Wi-Fi or on off) unless you install drivers but you can’t install them because…. It’s vicious circle.

I’m really disappointed how bad Lenovo is prepared for Windows 8, I’m experiencing lots of missing features that makes the system pretty useless. For instance, the second HDD in Ultrabay is not connected after the PC resumes from sleep. I have to restart the PC and then it might be still unconnected, it happened to me today. The solution is restart it again.

Then, when you are turning the keyboard backlight, there is no indicator showing on display.

The scrolling is reverse and when I switch it in Synaptic settings manually it works for a while and then it’s reverse again despite the indicator in Synaptic settings shows that reverse scrolling is turned off.

The new touchpad gestures, that would make controlling the system easier, also don’t work. It’s really annoying to use Win+C to bring Charm bar if I know it could be done with one move on touchpad.

I’ve installed most of the updates available on Lenovo Support Page (which is also useless for the last 7 weeks or so…) and Device manager in Windows is still showing two unknown devices – PCI Serial Port and PCI Simple Communications Controller.

I’ve also noticed that the battery drain is pretty high because the notebook can run without power for about 4 hours whereas with Windows 7 the laptop was able to run without power for almost 7 hours.

There are plenty of other annoying things, like long waiting for Fingerprint reader to get ready, Lenovo System update showing only 3 updates and much more…

I hope that someone in Lenovo will really fixe these issues as soon as possible.

BTW: I have Lenovo T530 2392-3EG

bendamon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,786
Message 8 of 15

@OGThink: Hi, I know all that. The problem is that the Windows 8 BT drivers will not install, saying there's no BT adapter. But there is one, and it is enabled in the BIOS. It worked fine with Windows 7.

@AltairMS: I can confirm most of your problems with my W530. Anyone here who has finally managed to get BT to work with Windows 8 and W530?

Jason_Think
Punch Card
Views: 10,764
Message 9 of 15

I encounter the same issue.

No reply from Lenovo after one and half months.

Lenovo is sucker.

Views: 10,762
Message 10 of 15

Latest driver update via Thinkvantage System Update enabled bluetooth for me. Fn+F5 still only toggles Airplane mode. Bluetooth has to be turned on and off under PC Settings/Bluetooth.

This seems to be a less than optimal solution (Lenovo should fix it so Fn+F5 allows you to turn on/off all wireless devices individually, not just as a toggle for all as it is), but at least Bluetooth is working now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors