Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vagran
Paper Tape
Views: 7,485
Message 1 of 11

W530 fingerprint reader problem

Recently my fingerprint stopped working for power on and Windows login. Fingerprint reader setup utility started to show some strange error followed by empty utility window (see screenshots below).

Link to picture

Link to picture

I have updated  all the software using "Lenovo update and drivers" but it did not help (BIOS image also was updated during this process). I doubt that it is hardware fault because I have Linux OS installed as dual boot among with Windows, and no problems there with logging in using fingerprint reader (fingerprint-gui package).

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,437
Message 2 of 11

Re: W530 fingerprint reader problem

It seems that the forum software crashed and a lot of posts were lost, including several of my own that I had written in this thread.

To summarize, the error in your screenshot points to a problem on the fingerprint sensor itself.

To confirm this, I want to know if you cleared the fingerprint sensor in BIOS setup?  And if so, does the green fingerprint LED continue to flash when the system is shutdown?

(after clearing the sensor, there should not be any templates stored on the sensor anymore, so the green LED should not flash)

vagran
Paper Tape
Views: 7,410
Message 3 of 11

Yes, I have cleared it in "Security/Fingerprint", some popup window with confirmation message appeared. But the green LED is still continuing to flash when the system is powered off.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,408
Message 4 of 11

This is definitely a hardware problem.  I know you said linux works fine, but let me explain why.  Linux just uses the fingerprint sensor as a scanning device, and this part of the sensor is still working OK.  That's why the sensor works OK in linux.

However, BIOS (for preboot) and Windows (in ThinkVantage Fingerprint Sensor) use the fingerprint sensor as both a scanning device AND a storage device.  And the storage device is broken (this is what the error code in your screenshot is showing).  This is why no match is found when you swipe at preboot, why TFS can't run, and why clearing the sensor in BIOS setup has no effect.

So please call Lenovo service in your country and request warranty repair for broken fingerprint sensor.

vagran
Paper Tape
Views: 7,387
Message 5 of 11

Thank you for explanation! I will proceed with the way you have pointed.

vukovv
What's DOS?
Views: 7,017
Message 6 of 11

Hi
I have similar problem. Fingerprint reader is not working and there is no any light blinking. Device manager is recognizing device and says that it is working properly. In control panel biometric it says that device is not available or maybe in use.
When I select in BIOS "RESET FINGERPRINT DATA" I receive message "NO FINGERPRINT READER IS ATTACHED"

Is this defiantly hardware problem?
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,006
Message 7 of 11

When BIOS says "no fingerprint reader is attached", it is definitely hardware problem.  The fingerprint reader needs to be replaced.

goldfarbdev
What's DOS?
Views: 6,568
Message 8 of 11

I'm not entirely convinced.  My fingerprint reader was working just fine until I upgraded Windows from 8 to 8.1. After upgrade I got all the same symptoms mentioned above.  Device manager flickered the hardware on and off saying it's working properly then saying that driver not installed and then back to working properly.  The reader light doesn't go on at all and the software says that I can't enroll.  I did get the same result when checking the BIOS setting.  Please confirm that you are 100% positive that it's a hardware problem.  Thank you.

buelensc
What's DOS?
Views: 5,545
Message 9 of 11

I too lost my fingerprint reader.  The original reason was Norton Internet Security re-installation that somehow crippled the registry settings for the FPR, I could recover using uninstall driver in HW manager.

At that time, I could se the FPR during power on, but not to unlock Windows (7 that is, on a T530)

But since a few weeks, the FPR was realy gone, not usable at power on, no trace in device manager and when I tried "reset fingerprint data" in BIOS, I got a response "No Fingerprint reader is attached".

I found

http://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/165475-X230-FPR-nach-BIOS-Update-ohne-Funktion-quot-no-fingerprint-...

were it was suggested to

- remove the battery (and obviuosly the AC adapter)

- press teh pwoer-on button for 30 seconds

Et voila, at power-on I could use teh FPR again, windows too is happy.

So, very happy that it was no HW problem.

jurism
What's DOS?
Views: 3,793
Message 10 of 11

Think I need to post this on this forum as maybe it will help someone else too.

I had the same problem on Lenovo T560. And same message when trying to reset fingerprint data in BIOS, eg "no fingerprint reader attached".

For me worked the same solution - completely remove battery. But as T560 has internal battery you should:

1. Remove external battery.

2. Remove AC.

3. From BIOS disable internal battery (there is option to disable it temporary).

4. Don't know if this is needed, but I did it - hold power on button for about 30sec.

5. Connect AC and start BIOS, reset fingerprint data (now it works again!).

6. Configure Windows Hello.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors