cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stepinsky
Punch Card
Views: 918
Message 1 of 6

W530: possible to use a slim tip power supply?

I'm looking for a lightweight alternative to the heavy standard 170W brick power supply for my W530.

As the 135W psu is even heavier than the 170W version, I have to look elsewhere.

The new slim tip psu used since xx40 series is still delivering 20V, but weighs nearly 300 grams less. On ebay I found an adapter from slim tip socket to barrel plug.

In theorie it should work. Has anyone ever tested a new generation psu with a barrel tip device?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 910
Message 2 of 6

Re: W530: possible to use a slim tip power supply?

There is a resistor between the center pin (signal pen) and ground.  The resistance is identified by the W530's power circuitry to determine the capacity of the charger.  It won't work unless the capacity is 135w (0 ohms) or 170w (1.5k ohms).

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Stepinsky
Punch Card
Views: 905
Message 3 of 6

What happens if the capacity is higher? The new 170W psu is using 1.9k ohms, 135W model uses 1k ohms.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 877
Message 4 of 6

On adapters I have seen, the signal pin is not passed through.  It is open, which is read as 90w.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Stepinsky
Punch Card
Views: 847
Message 5 of 6

Thanks. I didn't expect such a problem. It seems difficult to get appropriate plugs and sockets to build an adapter on my own, so this could be a show stopper.

Thinkpader89
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 657
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

Would appreciate if you could advise if we could use the Thinkpad Barrel Power Conversion Cable (Part No. 4X90E53069) available at Lenovo Store in Canada,  together with the New Slim tip 170W Power Adapter  to power our Thinkpad W520/W530 (with Barrel Tip)?

Through this original Thinkpad Barrel Power Conversion Cable, is W520/W530 going to detect the new power supply as 170W?

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors