Australia

19 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 1 of 8

W530 with Dock and dual external monitors flicker

2013-02-18, 22:57 PM

Hi All

OK, so I have a W530 with the mini dock 170W: great machine.  Originally I just had one external LCD, and no issues. I now have another LED, and I get screen flicker on both external monitors (laptop screen is fine).

Details:-

• Windows 8
  • BIOS 2.51
  • Graphics: Quadro K2000M with driver 310.90 (updated to latest in hope it would fix issue)

Of extra note: I have a dock at home and work, and both have dual monitors.  At home connection is DVI for both. At work, one is DisplayPort and the other DVI. 3 displays are Samsung, and 1 a Dell...all around 23/24" size.

The setup at work did work without flicker at one point with two displays...it was flickering, and I played around with cables, and rebooted, etc. and after lots of time/frustration the flicker stopped...but since docking again, has started :-(

I have read lots of google about ground loop issue: bit concerned about ditching grounds on monitors, and would have thought that if this is such a common issue, there would be a better solution supported/provided by the laptop manufacturers...so have not followed this suggestion...

If anyone else is running a similar system without flicker it would be interesting to get your exact system spec to help determine which aspect of the system causes this...

Regards

Paul.

Options

2430 Posts

04-08-2011

US

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Views: 46460
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: W530 with Dock and dual external monitors flicker

2013-02-19, 2:17 AM

I would make sure the notebook is firmly pushed down and into the connector on the dock.  I usually dock my machine fairly carefully, then push it down firmly after I know it is lined up properly.

Options

5 Posts

12-18-2012

Australia

19 Signins

100 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2013-02-24, 21:37 PM

OK, so further investigation would indicate it's not hardware/cable related...because 'sometimes' when I dock, it works fine?!

As an example, it was flickering at work...I undocked laptop and plugged laptop into another LCD to demonstrate something (used the mini DP connection on laptop rather than the DVI/Display ports on dock)...and then docked afterwards...and the flickering was gone...

To me this indicates it's not the monitors/cables, but something around the software/driver/sequence?!

Anyone else found this?!

TIA

Paul.

Options

5 Posts

12-18-2012

Australia

19 Signins

100 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2013-02-27, 22:34 PM

Even further testing, and I think I have a workaround (time will tell!):

Basically, ensure monitors are off when starting into Windows 8.  Once logged into Windows, I then turn on the monitors, and no flicker! (So far anyway)...this has worked both at home and work.

Options

2 Posts

09-30-2012

Slovenia

4 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 5 of 8

2013-03-15, 5:21 AM

Neither the sequence, nor http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/External-display-shaking-flickering-when-on-docking-station/ta-p/437193 helps me - with W530, 170W dock, DVI cable.

After 10 years of ThinPads I'm thinking of Mac now :)

br, tonys.

Options

10 Posts

05-13-2009

Bellevue, WA

8 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 6 of 8

2013-11-14, 18:52 PM

I have been having this issue ever since I got my W530 which is now about 6-7 months.

Every now and then, the screen just twitches. The interval seems random. I have found that when I have certain things displayed on the screen, the display on that monitor will just start to shake horizontally. After first I thought I had a bad monitor, but then I noticed that when a display twitches, both monitors were twitching at the same time.

I have two monitors connected to the W530 dock, and they are connected via DVI. I have Optimus and the Intel graphics disabled and I am only using discrete nVidia graphics.

Gently adjusting the laptop in the dock has no affect on the two external monitors, so it doesn't seem to be a simple connectivity issue.

Options

5 Posts

03-21-2011

Texas

19 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 7 of 8

2014-04-29, 14:55 PM

Hello

Running W530 in docking station (170W).

Had this setup running for over a year.  Laptop display is closed, 2 external monitors - Dell 27" (Primary, connected via Displayport cable) and Hanns-G 28" (Secondary, connected via DVI/HDMI adapter cable).

A few weeks back, the Dell started flickering.  Checked the cables, power, etc. - everything seemed fine.

Called Dell - they replaced the monitor.  Plugged new monitor in yesterday... started flickering today.

I have re-seated all the cables into/out of the docking station and monitor, replaced the power & Displayport cables. 

Where to from here?

Thanks

russ

Ideas?

Options

1 Posts

09-15-2019

CZ

5 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 8 of 8

2019-09-15, 14:32 PM

I also have W530 running the minidock, on Ubuntu 18.04. I have three external monitors, one connected throu miniDP on the unit itself and two through DP on the dock. When the screens are turned off (because the computer goes to sleep or turns of the screen when I dont use it for a few minutes as set by the power settings), the two connected through a dock flicker every 2-3 seconds, irregularly. There is a workaround, I can either turn the screens by issuing a "xset dpms force standby" command via the terminal or turnign the monitors on and off.

I suspect this is a hardware issue - have anybody solve their issues while you still had the units, 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save