Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Protingent
Paper Tape
Views: 596
Message 1 of 6

W540 BIOS update failed using Lenovo System Update

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W540 which is out of warranty.  While using the Lenovo System Update utility to update the BIOS, the BIOS update failed, and now my W540 will no longer boot.  Is there a way to restore the BIOS without replacing the system board?

Is there a place where can I download the BIOS file (not only the upgrade utility)?

Thank you!

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 569
Message 2 of 6

Re: W540 BIOS update failed using Lenovo System Update

I would try resetting the BIOS by unplugging the coin cell battery for a few minutes, and then re-assemble and try booting the system up.

The steps to do so are pretty simple on that model, and only require a small Phillips screwdriver and and perhaps a pair of tweezers or needle nose pliers.

For access, remove the following as detailed in the Hardware Maintenance Manual 

• Detach AC power adapter
  • Remove the battery pack (page 60)
  • Remove Small bottom door  (Page 65)
  • Unplug the coin cell battery  (Page 69)

With both batteries unplugged, you might want to press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds to drain to make sure all power has dissipated.

Hardware Maintenance Manual ThinkPad T540p, W540, and W541

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-w-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

If that does not work, I am not sure you will be able to boot from a CD either, but a bootable CD version of the BIOS update is available from the support site for that system linked below.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-w-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Good Luck,

countZeroHalt
Paper Tape
Views: 175
Message 3 of 6

January 2019 - bios update to T540P bricked the laptop. removing batteries, bleeding the power button does nothing. This was using the lenovo updater. Luckily it was under 3rd party warranty but they have to now either replace the motherboard or refund me.

Meanwhile, no laptop for a month !@#! sucks, lenovo. Google thinkpad bricking and there are way too many instances. lenovo is at fault here. I will neve do a bios update on a thinkpad again... and I will warn all my peers.

TimTT
What's DOS?
Views: 135
Message 4 of 6

Thanks JDGillis

BIOS Update catastrophically failed on my Lenovo T540p.

My laptop would not boot and had a blank screen and no bootup splash screen.

Interestingly, it was still making some noises like it was on and HDD was being accessed.

However, the screen was itself blank and at no time did it show anything when booting up.

Pressing the power button to try and restart the laptop would only result in several short beeps.

Eventually, I decided to bite the bullet and reset the T540p BIOS successfully.

Removing the Small bottom door at the laptop bottom gave me some concern since I was worried I may permanently break something.

However, after prying the small door open with a flat screw-head driver, I was able to open the door.

Unplugging the coin cell battery connector was also a sensitive operation but I also managed to do that slowly and carefully.

After BIOS reset, laptop now seems to be working properly although I had to set the BIOS date afresh and check the reste of the BIOS settings.

BIOS update seemed to have failed probably because after the restart, I logged in as a different user and not the same user who triggered the bios update.

TimTT
What's DOS?
Views: 133
Message 5 of 6

Helpful video in removing the T540p small door at the laptop bottom \ base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtJnBYRX2Zc
countZeroHalt
Paper Tape
Views: 128
Message 6 of 6

I have a computer tech background and comfortable opening all the small panels, etc:-) But on mine, disconnecting the button battery had no effect. I had the SqareTrade techs on the line also and ended up sending it to them. After 2 weeks they declared it non-repairable and are refunding purchase price. My only complaint with them is how long it took.  Still am unhappy with Lenovo on this. One poster said he thought it was Lenovo's way to get a customer to upgrade their old laptop... I am sure not, but they still have a problem and for those without an extended warranty there is a loss of some real money, let alone serious loss of time and possibly data (backup!)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors