Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plorengo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,635
Message 1 of 9

W540 Bios update failure and Lenovo warranty

Hi all,

15 days ago I bought a lenovo W540 and during the upgrade bios and operation has failed ( Bios upgrade failure).

after more than an hour, since the total system downtime, I removed the power to perform a reboot but nothing to do (black screen and beep beep ....).

I contacted Lenovo Italy and they told me that ' update bios without their consent invalidate the warranty.

This is Lenovo.......

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,588
Message 2 of 9

Re: W540 Bios update failure and Lenovo warranty

Hi plorengo, welcome to the forums,

I would like to suggest that you contact support once more, and again request a fix under warranty, if on this occasion you also receive no satisfaction you should then simply state that you are not satisfied and wish to register a complaint, the CSR will be able to do this for you.

Please ensure that you note the name of the CSR you speak to and also request a call number, the call number will possibly be of help at a later date.

Please also see the following post from Mark_Lenovo;

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Bios-Update-Fail-Under-Warranty-but-No-Support...

Please give it another go yourself before contacting Mark and please let us know how you get on.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

plorengo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,536
Message 3 of 9

According to our Engineers if the process is done through the automatic update all the process steps and safety measures are well explained. When correctly followed these instructions the process should occur flawlessly.
The document that was referred by you on the first contact with our Service Center (see attached mail and txt document) states:

Attention:
Do not turn off or suspend the computer until the update has been completed.
IF YOU DO THAT WHILE THE UPDATE IS STILL IN PROGRESS, THE SYSTEM BOARD MAY
HAVE TO BE REPLACED.

It’s assumed if these instructions and other that are shown during the update process are not followed, the System Board may be replaced due to incorrect procedure at your own cost (Not covered by our Lenovo Limited Warranty).

In your specific case the solution I can offer you is a billable repair and give you all the assistance needed in order to accelerate the process.

Kind Regards,
Pedro
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,523
Message 4 of 9

Hi plorengo,

I've removed the solution flag because I don't feel that a billable repair is a solution in this case. I don't work for Lenovo and in your situation wouldn't give up on this yet.

I don't know if you have tried the following, but it's worth a go: Remove the battery and AC adapter, press and hold the start button for 10 seconds and then repeat this ten times.  What this does is discharge the system of any residue power.  Afterwards just attach the AC adapter and see if the system starts.

If that doesn't help I would ask Pablo how long they consider it reasonable to wait for a hung system during a BIOS update before turning it off and calling service.  These processes should not fail, but sometimes for unknown reasons, they do.

Which operating system is installed on your W540 and did you receive the BIOS update through ThinkVantage SystemUpdate?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Highlighted
plorengo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,483
Message 5 of 9

Hi,

Yesterday I sent the notebook in Germany as a result of this e-mail from lenovo Csc in Slovakia:

Taking in consideration all the information gathered on your complaint over the ThinkPad W540 with MT#20BG001 / SN#xxxxxxxx I would suggest a further investigation in Depot.

This alternative would allow us to make an assessment of the current state of the machine and determine the root cause of the issue.

Could you please confirm your agreement with this solution and I will make sure to organize the machine collection as soon as possible.

The results of this investigation will be shared with you in order to decide what should be the next action.

Moderator Note; s/n edited to prevent possible abuse

plorengo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,437
Message 6 of 9

This the notebook is back from Germany but i'm not in Italy...so i cannot verify the functionality.....

plorengo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,376
Message 7 of 9

problem solved (replacement motherboard in warranty ).

Thanks for support

TP530
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,457
Message 8 of 9

Interesting to read of BIOS update problems.  August, 2016, my T-P W530 went black-screen on bootup at the windows logo. Panicked, I called warrantee service since I had weeks left on my expensive 4-yr extended warrantee.  Nice rep told me it was serious and I had to send it in.  Box came in a few days, unit returned. About a week later, phone call relayed that there was no problem with any hardware, and it is a software problem --- their only offer was to scrub the hard drive.  This was not acceptable due to various programs I owned which would be difficult for me to find (discs) and license numbers, etc.  I asked that it be sent back to me, unrepaired.  When it arrived a week later, I took it to a local repair facility, where they mirror the drive and reinstall. When my turn came in line to submit the laptop and explain the problem, the fellow right behind me says "Are you having boot-up problems with your W530 also?"

Identical laptop, identical problem.

No such thing as coincidences. I searched the forums that night and found this has been a Lenovo problem for years (since at least 2014) with Lenovo BIOS updates. Sent this info to the shop, and they fixed the two W530s by resolving a display driver conflict caused by the BIOS update. THey set things to not automatically install any more Lenovo updates.

WHY did not the factory-authorized warrantee repair facility know this and fix it --- they had my password. One month of not having my laptop, and paying for a repair even though I had factory warrantee coverage.

Thinkpad W530, Win 7 Pro, SSD, i7 (>$3K with all Lenovo peripherals and extended/expiring warrantee, for all the good that did me).

apinilla
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,381
Message 9 of 9

Lenovo really think this process works without errors?

It happened to me exactly the same and have the same answer, CID possible.

I do not understand why you installed the software that suggests update the BIOS laptop,  if this does not do well? LENOVO is really offensive to suggest that the client turn off the computer. But even worse, they do not tell the customer to make that update was not looking to do, but was suggested by the LENOVO software, in case of failure, will not be covered by the warranty. This is LENOVO?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors