cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bagrant
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 17

W540 Fingerprint Reader not working upon waking from sleep for windows login

I have read through the entire thread that currently exists on this topic and the last post states that the newer laptops do not have a fix for this issue. Is Lenovo working on a fix and actively including the fix in new models coming out? I have a W540 and would really appreciate a patch for this problem. 

Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: W540 Fingerprint Reader not working upon waking from sleep for windows login

Odd, it works correctly on my ThinkPad W540.

Can you share the following info?
- Model number (MTM)
- Operating system
- Finger Print Reader (installed version number)
- BIOS version

Also read this, any chance you have Windows 7?
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=115090

Also read this for a possible solution:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W540-Fingerprint-Reader-Fails-after-sleep-or-...

Jonas

Lenovo Insider
Microsoft MVP Windows Development

Twitter: @jonashendrickx

Bagrant
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 17

Re: W540 Fingerprint Reader not working upon waking from sleep for windows login

Hi Jonas,

Thank you for your reply. I tried both solutions in the threads that you suggested and neither solution works for me.

Bios Ver: GNET73WW (2.21)

Model No.: 20BG0011US

FP Reader: Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) (PID=0017)  Driver Ver: 4.5.285.0

Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 17

Have you installed Windows 7 in legacy or uefi mode? Did you try legacy?

Jonas

Lenovo Insider

Bagrant
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 17

My system admin installed the instance of Win 7 running on my machine. However, I did change my startup config to Legacy Only via the BIOS config utility. That did not help.

Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 17

Aside from that I don't know anything anymore. Any reason why you want to use W7 above W8.1? You can use W8.1 with classic shell if you want a Windows 7-like experience. It's a workaround, but you would be fine.

Jonas

Lenovo Insider

Bagrant
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 17

I am not able to change my OS due to the fact that my system admin does not suppot Win 8.1. Thank you for trying.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Message 8 of 17

I understand you are using Win7 as installed by your corporate IT person.

Can you ask your IT person if they disabled Fast User Switching?  We are aware of a bug in the fingerprint driver where fingerprint doesn't work after wake from sleep, when Fast User Switching is disabled.

Bagrant
Paper Tape
Message 9 of 17

Thank you for your reply,

During trying this fix, I realized that I should have been more specific in the problem description. Fast User Switching was not configued (enabled). So my initial problem was, when my computer woke from sleep, windows was trying to use the biometric option as the first option to logon, however, the fingerprint scanner was not being enabled (no green light indicating the device is enabled). When I disabled Fast User Switching, there was no longer the option to use biometric logon.

So, enabling/ disabling Fast User Switching did not help with this issue.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Message 10 of 17

Bagrant

In that case it sounds like you are experiencing a problem that we are not aware of.  

Just to clarify, does your fingerprint reader work OK after a reboot?  And only problem is after wake from sleep mode?

Top Kudoed Authors