Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Topwop
Paper Tape
Views: 162
Message 1 of 5

W540 Fingerprint Scanner no longer works after March 2019 Windows update

I have Done the most recent Windows updates this morning (March 18th 2019) which included KB4480056, KB4486553, KB4489899, KB4470788, Along with Adobe Flah Player Updates and then rebooted twice.  Upon rebooting both times I did not have the option to scan my fingerprint to log in.  I went into register my fingerprint in windows and it said that there is no fingerprint support on this device.  I then went into device manager and cannot find the fingerprint device. I went to the lenovo website and downloaded the "most recent" driver from 2016 for my fingerprint scanner and it errors when installing with error code 2738. I tried to reinstall the lenovo fingerprint manager pro software but windows tells me that this software is incompatible with this version of windows. I cannot seem to get the fingerprint scanner working again. If anyone has a fix for this please let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

Enqueue
Punch Card
Views: 119
Message 2 of 5

Re: W540 Fingerprint Scanner no longer works after March 2019 Windows update

it’s not listed in device manager under “biometric devices”?

Have you considered installing the software/drivers in compatibility mode?

Roll back to the restore point that’s prior to the offending update?

Cant say for sure but you could try this:

(From MS)

1. Press Windows logo key + I key.

2. Click on Accounts.

3. Go to Sign in options.

4. The fingerprint option will always should be visible if there is a WBF (Windows biometric Framework) supported fingerprint reader (and its associated driver) installed on the computer.

Topwop
Paper Tape
Views: 106
Message 3 of 5

It is not listed in device Manager under "Biometrics Devices" there is no "Biometric Devices" cataegory the only thing I have not done yet is the rollback to before the update. I have had issues with my fingerprint scanner before after updates but have always been able to reinstall it. 

Enqueue
Punch Card
Views: 98
Message 4 of 5

Good old MS and their updates!

Try this (From MS):

To include hidden devices in Device Manager display, click View and select Show Hidden Devices.

Another category of hidden devices, not shown in Device Manager by default, includes devices that were physically removed from the computer but whose registry entries were not deleted. These devices are considered nonpresent devices. Users should never have to view such devices because a nonpresent device should not have their attention and should not cause any problems. If a user has to view your device when it is not present, there is likely a problem with your driver design.

If the biometric device appears update the driver and turn off the “sleep” mode in properties.

Enqueue
Punch Card
Views: 91
Message 5 of 5

I am assuming you have Win 10 installed, I cannot test this because I am still at Win 7 but if the “Show hidden devices” fails try this:

In device manager click the item on the top of the list which is the computer description, a menu should appear at the top, go to action-add legacy hardware and see if the computer finds it.

You could also try “Scan for hardware changes”.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors