Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nam6869
Blue Screen Again
Views: 742
Message 111 of 162

Re: W540 Freeze on boot screen when connected to docking

What you and ChrisH1 are describing is what I experienced for 3 months before my machine miraculously "fixed" itself. The one difference I have noted is that you guys can enter the BIOS set up; I could not.

I found that the machine would boot properly on a restart but not from a cold start so I was able to "clear" its "head" with a restart and was able to get my windows updates.

What I did was to keep the machine in hibernation rather than doing a shut down. That consistently took 3 cycles to start up and come out of hibernation. Standby (sleep) was not problem. That would be a work around for customer calls if you get the same behaviour I did.

If you comb through all the posts there are a number of suggestions concerning BIOS settings for USB3, graphics, and Legacy boot. Windows 7 should be set to include legacy boot, the enhanced USB3 should be enabled and in my case the enhanced graphics that use only the NVIDIA card when docked.

I lost my disk encryption with the 2.24 update, the Start-up/HD PW was being used by my Samsung EVO PRO and the update removed the PW's. I have not reset them yet nor have I done the update to 2.26 as I do not want to tempt fate; my W540 is working perfectly again.

You have mentioned that you are booting out of the dock but have you removed any peripherals attached to the W54x?

Remove everything, wireless mouse dongles, drives, etc .and try. If I put my mouse receiver back in the USB2 port on the right side of the machine my W540 starts acting up again on boot. I can put it in after I boot without a problem andcan put it in the usb2 on the left side of the machine with no boot problems.

I don't think Lenovo is trying to drum up warranty business with this - what they loose in "goodwill" would never offset the small warranty / repair revenue they received. Additionally many of the posters here have had new mother boards installed under the warranty which is a loser for Lenovo. Read my posts (the later ones) and you will see there are some in Lenovo that are trying. Should it be faster, should it not have happened, agreed, but now that it has they need specific info -- see Amy's post asking for info/help.

Fink
Paper Tape
Views: 722
Message 112 of 162

I have a W540 that is exhibiting the following, based on Amy's list of symptoms:

Symptom #3: Hanging on ThinkPad splash screen 

There is a third case under investigation for hanging on the ThinkPad splash screen during boot up. While the contributing component  has been identified, root cause is still being determined. When more information becomes available, I will provide an update.

I have never used a dock with this W540 - this issue happens mostly from a cold boot, but occasionally even from a restart/resume from Sleep. It takes about 5-8 power offs/ons in order for it to boot correcty. This is with no peripherals plugged in - even tried removing the battery and running solely off AC power - no change.

I am sincerely hoping for a fix to this soon as I use this laptop for my photography business and it's one of the only laptops I have powerful enough to run all of my Adobe applications as well as my two VMs that I need. It is painful to be in a meeting with a customer only to not be able to boot up my laptop to show them their project and have to sit there and power cycle the darn thing 5-8 times for it to get past the splash screen.

AMY:

Do you think it's safe for me to try and update the BIOS to 2.26? From what I have read, that update had nothing to do with this particular symptom, but I will act on your advice here.

Thanks!

ChrisH1
Paper Tape
Views: 683
Message 113 of 162

@Fink:

There is a third case under investigation for hanging on the ThinkPad splash screen during boot up. While the contributing component  has been identified, root cause is still being determined. When more information becomes available, I will provide an update.

This is what I have. BIOS update 2.26 has no effect, or possibly makes it worse.

My has laptop worked flawlessly from the day I had it it up until Friday 20th Feb, when the Lenovo Companion (ha! with friends like that...) gave me a list of updates, which I duly installed, including update to BIOS 2.24. After the update to 2.24 it would not boot past the Lenovo splash screen whilst docked, but would boot ok most of the time when it wasn't. I updated yesterday (Mon 22 Feb) to BIOS 2.26 after which things have got much worse.

This is my first Lenovo (less than 1 year old) after about 15 years of Dells and I was really pleased with the speed and capacity. After this I feel it may well also be my last if this issue isn't resolved soon. The current state is intolerable.

laucha13
Paper Tape
Views: 623
Message 114 of 162

Same thing here ... I was looking for audio drivers and Lenovo Companion gave me the update list, I updated audio and BIOS and both things are really worst after the update.

I buy ThinkPads because they are supposed to be tough in harsh environements ... and in my experience that is true, so nothing bad to say about hardware. On the other side Lenovo is the worst in software, lot of drivers conflicts, a really bad technical support and when we call them the answer is always the same: send your laptop to re install Windows.

I spent a lot of time trying to improve my 2 T540p. and everytime there is a new problem poping up.

I visit lot of companies each week and often people ask me if ThinkPads are a good choice. My answer is always the same: BUY A DELL!!!. Only with me Lenovo is losing hundred of sales each month. We stopped buying Lenovo last year and it was a really good thing.

oldyoungguy
Punch Card
Views: 607
Message 115 of 162

I have the same Symptom, #3. Most of time I didn't do cold startup so I am just "ok" but I am looking for the real solution as well.
laucha13
Paper Tape
Views: 600
Message 116 of 162

laucha13
Paper Tape
Views: 593
Message 117 of 162

Highlighted
aschulte
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 533
Message 118 of 162

Hello, i have different issues with my W541 and Windows 7 x64 Prof.

We have now 3 W541 with different BIOS-Versions: 2.21 / 2.23 / 2.24 

My issue1: W541 with BIOS 2.24 Freeze on boot screen before "Windows is starting"

Fix: Lenovo send me a new SSD. After cloning my system to the new SSD this issue is fixed.

Result: Startup, Hibernate, EnergySave ist now working good.

My issue2: W541 BIOS 2.24 Freeze randomly while working.

Situation: Working the whole day with the same programs and then sometimes, boom, while moving the mouse: Windows Freeze. No BSOD, no reboot. Just freezing.

Now my company get me a second W541 BIOS 2.23. I moved my installation with Acronis True Image to the new W541 BIOs 2.23. But after 2 days it's freezing too.

Note: we installed Windows new from Lenovo Recovery, from scratch with Windows Install Media twice, using System Update to install driver or download them all manually from Lenovo-Support Page. Tried newest NVIDIA-Driver (certified for Application CATIA), and a lot more constallations.

There is another W541 BIOS 2.21 here that's sometimes freezing like my W541 but he also get BSOD. While analysing the minidump it looked like there a some errors with USB3 that make Windows 7 to crash. We have to check this out right now.

With both W541 BIOS 2.23 and BIOS 2.24 i have some problems with USB-Mouse and USB-Keyboard. Windows not always identify my input devices. I have to unplug and plugin again to use USB-Input. Would be strange if my mouse make the system Freeze. USB3-Drivers are installed from Lenovo System-Update.

What's very strange: my old W541 BIOS 2.24 is now running for testing nearly 6 days with no freeze and: without docking station, without network, without any USB devices, no WLAN, no WWAN. Doing some Benchmarks, moving files, running Lenovo Diagnostongs from Solution Center... fine.

My new W541 BIOS 2.23 is now running prefect the 3rd day after the last freeze. I was working with docking station, only on battery, without dockingstation and power connected, with USB Deviced connected. With LAN, with WLAN and WWAN, with external USB-HDD, with external monitor on VGA-Port. With 2 HDMI-Monitors while in docking station.

Right now I am waiting for the next freeze. The only changes since last freeze: 23 Windows Updates.

EDIT1: since TODAY, Lenovo System-Setup shows an Update for my Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter. The changelog says: added support for W541 with this version. Uh? Could it be my LAN Adapter?

EDIT2: SYSTEM CRASHED today while connecting external USB3-HDD directly into Laptop. When connecting USB in the docking station, the external USB3-HDD is working fine. Uh?

Fix: BIOS ThinkPad Setup >> Config >> USB >> USB3.0 Mode set from AUTO to ENABLED.

Result: Now i can use the external USB3-HDD in all available USB-Ports of the Laptop.

Now I hope that the USB-Setup has something to do with me Freeze-Issue...

ChrisH1
Paper Tape
Views: 523
Message 119 of 162

@Amy:

@Amy_Lenovo wrote:

There is a third case under investigation for hanging on the ThinkPad splash screen during boot up. While the contributing component  has been identified, root cause is still being determined. When more information becomes available, I will provide an update

You said that "the contributing component has been identified". Is this a hardware component or BIOS software component? What I'm asking is if there is something we can do, eg disable or configure a device or something until the issue is fixed. I'm finding it very difficult to live with the system as it stands. Having a webinar organised with over 100 people attending, not knowing if your laptop is going to boot up is not good for the nerves.

Or since my laptop is less than a year old and has an extended warranty can I get a replacement unit which works all the time?

dwrawl
Paper Tape
Views: 469
Message 120 of 162

I've just discovered a way around this until Lenovo gets around to fixing the BIOS's that they broke with that update. Hope it works for others as well as it's worked for me (so far).

As soon as the hated splash screen appears press "Enter" on the keyboard. This will start the BIOS utility. When the utility starts hit "Esc." The machine will then complete the starting process, or at least it did on mine. You need to hit the Enter key as soon as the splash screen appears, as once it's frozen no key will do anything.

BTW, my machine is a W540 not connected to any kind of a dock.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors