09-01-2015

CA

109 Signins

451 Page Views

• Views: 451
  • Message 1 of 5

W540 Keyboard - some keys stop working - hardware problem

2017-05-03, 2:56 AM

For the 4th time, the W540 keyboard has about 7 of its keys stop working. The seven keys are usually on the right hand side and in a group, but could be in any row, and within 1 or 2 columns of each other. Pressing the key does nothing, not even the click in click mode. I am convinced this is not a software problem as I have tried all possible software remedies. I am sure it is due to the keyboard or connection itself. The Shift or Ctrl does not work for these keys either.

First time this happened after a year of use, I lost 'P' and '0' among others, and I had to replace the keyboard. A year later on the new keyboard it happened again, but came back after two days. 3rd time was four months later, and I have lost '-', '=', '5', '6', delete, and others. I remapped these. Then again now I lost another bunch including '\', backspace, enter, and space.

The original keyboard is a backlit keyboard FRU 04Y2387, ID# 48L16M, Parts # 0C44952, Model # KM BL-105US . Replacement keyboard also backlit and exact replacement.

Short of replacing the keyboard, or resetting the keyboard connection and cleaning the contacts, (all tried) what is there to do?

Is this a contact problem or keyboard problem? Has happened with two different keyboards.  Is this a common problem?

Any help will be of great assistance and will be greatly appreciated.

Solved! See the solution
Options

10381 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39198 Signins

404692 Page Views

• Views: 404692
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: W540 Keyboard - some keys stop working - hardware problem

2017-05-03, 3:06 AM

It sounds like the keyboard, but multiple failures seems odd. I used a W540 for 3 years without issue.

I use this site to test keyboards:

http://www.keyboardtester.com/

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

26 Posts

09-01-2015

CA

109 Signins

451 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2017-08-03, 19:15 PM

After replacing three keyboards and finally getting a stable one, I would like to offer this theory: Problem is only with the backlit keyboards, and non-backlit seems to be more stable.

Furthermore, I suspect the issue starts with grains of salt entering the keyboard (yes I do eat on top of my laptop!). Then maybe when fluids or rain enters the keyboard it shorts some high-impedance lines. I never washed any of my keyboards. But next time I open the laptop I will test this theory by washing a bad keyboard and see if it will get the missing keys back again.

Options

26 Posts

09-01-2015

CA

109 Signins

451 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2017-08-11, 1:27 AM

Yes, this has been confirmed. A deep bathing of the keyboard with warm water made the dead keys all come back.  No other method had resurrected them.  So I suspect salt or some other conductive particle to have shorted a high-impedance line causing this calamity.

Thus, if a "column" of keys are lost, and nothing seems to make them come back, then give the keyboard a good underwater bathing.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

11-11-2018

US

4 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 5 of 5

2018-11-11, 20:37 PM

Please tell me how you "bathed" he keyboard.  Did you remove it first?  Did you just use warm water?

The "t" and the "y" keys are operating sporadically.  The left shift key isn't working but the right one does operate.  The on-screen keyboard is keeping me in business.

Would i be easier to simply replace the keyboard?

thanks for our help.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save