Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steezee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 186
Message 1 of 1

W540 Lag when fan kicks on

I have had this issue since I bought the W540 a couple years back 2014ish with the intel Core i7-4700MQ, Nvidia K2100m, 240GB SSD, and 16GB RAM running Windows 7 Pro. I have recently started to use this machine for work again (running AutoCAD) and the lag is beginning to test my patience.

As the title suggest, any time the cooling fan kicks into high gear the lap top freezes up for 3-5 seconds. Once the fan starts to slow down the system starts to run smooth again. This can happen regularly (every 5-10 minutes) while doing more intensive work, and less frequently (every 20-30 minutes) when casually browsing. Specifically, it will freeze, then the fan kicks on loudly, eventually slows and quiets down, then the system unfreezes.

Ventillation could be an issue occasionally as I sometimes work with the laptop on my lap - but this will still occur even if I am sitting at a desk. The laptop is generally pretty hot when it is on my lap, so I prefer to work at a desk. CPU usage & Memory usage are generally uncorrelated to the fan kicking on and off, and rarely exceed 50%. 

Anyone have experience with this, or know of a fix? Perhaps a performance setting or driver update? Anything helps, thank you!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors