Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AX70000
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,644
Message 1 of 43

W540 SATA Option (RAID or AHCI) gone after BIOS update to 2.05

W540 20BG001CGE, had BIOS 1.05 and RAID 1 with two Samsung 840 EVO 1TB working fine under Windows 7 - x64. Did a (by lenovo update tool recommended) BIOS Update with the bios update manager to 2.05. Update ran fine. After Rebooting (and loading defaults, disabling Intel Rapid Start, Changing BIOS boot option to legacy first ... I recognized SATA Option (AHCI or RAID) in BIOS is gone. At boot Intel Matrix Storage Configuration doesnot appear anymore (where you can build RAID etc).

Boot then brings up message "missing operating system".

Downgrade to BIOS 1.05 impossible, due to ISO File on www.lenovo.com support is not system compatible, message "Lenovo Group Limited - Invalid system disk; Replace te disk, and then press any key")

(The link to the ISO File version 1.05 at the bottom of this page links a non bootable ISO image

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS039078)

Also the downgrade to BIOS version 1.08 found here http://www.notebook-driver.com/detail/thinkpad-driver-id-22182/ doesnot work, CD also messages "Lenovo Group Limited - Invalid system disk - Replace ...").

Rewriting BIOS version 2.05 (GNET57WW) doesnot work (says "BIOS update not necessary").

Embedded Controller Version GMHT25WW (1.10) ME Firmware Version 9.0.22.1467.

Anyone has a suggestion what to try next? Anybody has a hint how to get back my RAID controller?

thanks and have fun

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 11,569
Message 2 of 43

Re: W540 SATA Option (RAID or AHCI) gone after BIOS update to 2.05

Did you order your system as RAID model?  W540 does not come with RAID by default.  Lenovo has to license RAID option ROM (costs $) so it is only provided if you order RAID model from Lenovo.  As far I as I know, the only RAID model in Europe is 20BG001Sxx.  And your 20BG001Cxx model came with only 1 disk.  If I am wrong about this, please let me know.

I believe there was a bug in 1.05 that mistakenly enabled RAID on some non-RAID models.  The bug was fixed in 2.05, so unless you really have a RAID model W540, then RAID would become properly disabled on your system.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 11,556
Message 3 of 43

To downgrade BIOS, try changing BIOS startup option to "UEFI first" instead of "Legacy first".  But, I'm not sure if downgrade from 2.xx to 1.xx is possible, or if it is, whether it will bring back RAID function on non-RAID model.

AX70000
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,536
Message 4 of 43

There was no difference in orderingRAID or NON-RAID. On order my question was answered: yes, raid will be possible. Now lenovo kills all my data without warning on with a recommended bios update without possiblity to step back or recover?That's what I call making friends.

Actually with switching UEFI BIOS to first BIOS 1.05 is not accepted (Locked by INTEL BIOS GUARD). But the downgrade to 1.08 (which is not available by lenovo.com but there:http://www.notebook-driver.com/detail/thinkpad-driver-id-22182/ worked, afterwards the downgrade to 1.05 with the ISO from Lenovo.com worked and there was my RAID again and worked fine. All data still there, by by Lenovo system update.

olakiril
Punch Card
Views: 11,232
Message 5 of 43

This was not anywhere when I bought the machine. 

Paying extra for enabling RAID is cheapie for a >$2k workstation laptop. 

At least Lenovo should alow to pay extra after we have bought the machine to "buy" the locked feature. 

I got two SSD to raid them, only to find out that my just upgraded with bios W540 does not do raid. 

In fact, this was the last straw with this machine and Lenovo. I am a thinkpad user for over 10 years but now I realize that the series have been downgraded to cheap consumer products.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 11,073
Message 6 of 43

olakiril and AX70000

Can you guys send me a private message with "Machine Type Model" and "System-unit serial number"?  You can get this info by rebooting into BIOS Setup.  Please send this to me privately (don't post serial number info to the public forum).

We want to see if there is anything we can do on our end so that you can upgrade to latest BIOS but still keep RAID, even though your models are non-RAID.

cshen24
Punch Card
Views: 11,028
Message 7 of 43

someotherguy,

Could you please publicly post the results of "anything we can do on our end"?  I am currently going through the pain of cancelling and reordering because of the RAID capabilities of the machine.

If you could also send over a note to the e-shop team, this whole RAID fiasco can be avoided.  If RAID is a paid feature and must be selected at the time of order, they should definitely NOT use the phrase "Not Enabled".  Everyhing about that wording suggests that I can throw in 2 identical aftermarket drives and enable it myself.  It should really say "No RAID capabilities" or "No RAID hardware".

I am obviously extremely frustrated because I have already gone through two prior cancellations...

fbrozovic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,923
Message 8 of 43

someotherguy,

I would like to second this request - I should get my W540 (20BG001C) tomorrow and I don't need RAID just now, but it would be nice to have the option to enable it whenever it is needed. A lot of other notebook manufacturers include the functionality - I would even be ready to pay for the upgrade. Since the BIOS upgrades are the same for the RAID and non-RAID models, I assume that the information whether it is available or not is saved either in an area of the BIOS flash which is not written to when updating, or on a separate flash, which should make enabling this option via a software update trivial (again, I'm just guessing here, but that's the way I would personally implement it).

Thanks.

tweakerbot
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,841
Message 9 of 43

I need a resolution to this issue as well. Bump

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 10,765
Message 10 of 43

To all,

If you are having this RAID problem after updating to BIOS 2.05, can you please take a picture of the BIOS Setup main screen which shows all of the following items?

- Machine Type Model

- System-unit serial number

- System board serial number

- UUID

- MAC Address (Internal LAN)

Then please e-mail it to me at lenovoforums@yahoo.com and make sure to include your forum name.  thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors