Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lahcimm
Paper Tape
Views: 2,169
Message 1 of 6

W540 - Top letter row of keys not working

This just happened to me today. Top row of keys, excluding T and Y, stopped working while the rest are fine. Any leads out there for this one?

Mod Edit: Edited Subject line to clarify issue.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,155
Message 2 of 6

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Lahcimm !

Try clearing the CMOS.  That procedure can be useful in some situations where there is problem with hardware configuration.  Here is how......

1. Unplug the charger / adapter.
2. Remove the battery. (If removable)
3. Press and hold the Power Button for 15 seconds.
4. Re-install the battery, plug in the charger / adapter if needed and power up the system to see if the problem was resolved.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Lahcimm
Paper Tape
Views: 2,145
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the quick reply. These steps didn't work. I'm using a W540- could this have any bearing? Sorry, didn't realize I was in the wrong section of the forum.

Mod's Edit: Edited Subject line.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,127
Message 4 of 6

I moved your posting to the proper forum so that others who are familiar with your model may join in the discussion.

Does the problem also happen in Windows Safe Mode?   If not, try doing a clean install of the keyboard drivers.

If you connect a USB keyboard does the problem occur with that hardware as well?  If not, it may well be a hardware problem with the laptop's keyboard. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,097
Message 5 of 6

Re: W540 - Top letter row of keys not working

First eliminate any chance of a software or driver problem. Here is what I do:

Boot into the BIOS and go to security/password/supervisor password

You are going to type letters from suspected bad areas of the keyboard (numbers or letters) to see if they register correctly without anything software running. DO NOT SAVE OR HIT ENTER OR DO ANYTHING THAT MAY CREATE OR CHANGE A PASSWORD OR YOU MAY RENDER YOUR LAPTOP USELESS. When you finish typing letters and numbers hit ESC to get out. Again, do not save anything. If the keys register correctly in the BIOS, you have a software problem. If not, you probably have a bad keyboard.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Lahcimm
Paper Tape
Views: 2,064
Message 6 of 6

Re: W540 - Top letter row of keys not working

Thanks for the help guys! My computer was still under warranty so I sent it in to Lenovo and looks like they replaced the keyboard- the whole process from me shipping it to getting it back only took three days. Wow! 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors