Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThatThinkPadGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 879
Message 1 of 4

W540 - Upgrades

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice on my Thinkpad W540.
Having moved from a W510 to this I'm finding the FHD 1080P a bit lacklustre in comparison to the FHD Wide Gamut I've become accustomed. Whilst I knew it wasn't similar I wasn't expecting the viewing angles etc to be as bad as they are.

I'm looking to upgrade this to the 3K screen as I've heard that's better?
Is it possible to upgrade the screen?
I could fit it myself not a problem, just wondering if there were anything I should know before hand or if it's not even possible?

I will also be looking into getting an M2 2242 SSD for it and have seen some with various performance issues.
What's the best one currently out there? I saw that Transcend are advertising 500GB~ ones in 2242 form factor.
I would most likely be looking at a 256GB though but looking for consistent fast read/writes.

Any input would be appreciated.

ThatThinkPadGuy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 859
Message 2 of 4

Re: W540 - Upgrades

I also considered upgrading my W540 screen, but decided it was not a good idea for me.  You also need to replace the lid and cable.  At the time, I still had nearly 3 years warranty left and I did not want to affect that situation.  I use the Transcend 512GB M.2 drive as my boot drive.  I am not really "into" benchmark tests unless I feel that the machine is running slowly.  I have never tried measuring the throughput or speed.  It has been reliable for me.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 820
Message 3 of 4

I have a [MDM-242-SC2-128 42mm M.2 NGFF] from <http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/>.  It was purchased back in Feb/March 2015 when I got the W540.  It's encrypted with BestCrypt, and has worked flawlessly.  Today I would buy a Samsung EVO 850 if they make one that size.  I have 2 EVO 850 in the W540, and they work great... so far, and also installed 'back then'.  So we are looking at over 1 year's worth of use.   I also have a Samsung EVO 850 in my Drobo 5N, and it too works like a charm.

NOW, the W540 is a great collection of hardware - nVidia, Intel, great keyboard.  However, the user interface is AWFUL!  AND because of that, even if technically fast, actually slower than ALL other real workstations.  Just upgraded after one year to a real workstation (we may get another 4 after a little testing), and the world opened up!  The W540 is a great dumb terminal when used with an external  mouse, for computer masochist or computer ostrich (never again)..

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 812
Message 4 of 4

A quick update.  I recently looked to upgrade the W540 m.SATA to a higher capacity, and looked at the Transcend as an option.

ref: Transcend 42mm 256GB MTS400 SATA III M.2 Internal SSD

I use(d) Transcend cards in my cameras, and have used their memory chips in desktops.  They are an OEM vendor.  Just mentioned this as an alternate, albeit I did not do the upgrade, as I sank too much into the W540, and moved on to a real workstation.  I have a Samsumg EVO 850 50mm mSATA in the new unit.  50mm is a more rational size.  Why 42mm is beyond my understanding, but fits within the W540 minimalist toy black box concept.

ref: Samsung EVO 850 mSATA SSD for a REAL Workstation

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors