Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 728
Message 1 of 19

W540 [Win 7 64] and Java v55

Every time I install the newer Java v55 (32 or 64), the system behave strangely.   Anyone running this version of Java (the 55 release) on a W540 Windows 64 BIOS 2.11??

On my restore, is Java v51,  and that appears to be OK, albeit, JDownloader is not happy with v51.

Guru
Views: 713
Message 2 of 19

Re: W540 [Win 7 64] and Java v55

Hello.

What do you mean behave strangely? A little more information is needed here.

ThinkPad P1 - i7-8750H/32GB // ThinkPad P70 - Xeon E3-1505M/64GB
ThinkPad W540 (20BG) - i7-4800MQ/32GB // ThinkPad W520 (4282-W4Q) - i7-2720QM/32GB
ThinkPad T450s (20BW) - i7-5600U/12GB // Yoga 900 - i7-6500U/8GB
ThinkPad T61 (7665-CTO) - T7700/4GB // ThinkPad T60p (8741-C2G) - T7400/4GB
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 676
Message 3 of 19

Too long to describe.  My question comes down to:  Did YOU or anyone d/l the latest JAVA, including the 64 bit version on thei Lenovo W540 BIOS 2.11 and notice any negative aspects. Giving advice, not having insgtalled update version 55, is no help.

What I noted.  Task bar icons turned white.  For the 1st 1-3 minutes, moving the mouse into the task bar made it turn into the icon Sandwatch, general slowdown of certain application.

I need Java for some of my applications, which now do not work with the older installed v51 update.

Guru
Views: 670
Message 4 of 19

No, I don't have a W540, but I have a T440s (Win8.1/Fedora), W520 (Win8.1/Fedora), 2x T400's (Win7/Win8.1), all running Java v55, both 32/64 bit and there are no issues whatsoever. I simply fail to see how a simple Java upgrade can be blamed on the hardware/OS running it.

SInce v51 works fine and v55 doesn't, you should be troubleshooting this issue with Java, as it's clearly an issue with their product, not Lenovos.

ThinkPad P1 - i7-8750H/32GB // ThinkPad P70 - Xeon E3-1505M/64GB
ThinkPad W540 (20BG) - i7-4800MQ/32GB // ThinkPad W520 (4282-W4Q) - i7-2720QM/32GB
ThinkPad T450s (20BW) - i7-5600U/12GB // Yoga 900 - i7-6500U/8GB
ThinkPad T61 (7665-CTO) - T7700/4GB // ThinkPad T60p (8741-C2G) - T7400/4GB
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 641
Message 5 of 19

Indeed the issue 'may' be with Java, but the facts remain that after several tries, I have no idea what the i/o's are or if the WiFi is wide open.  I narrowed down the problem to the Java 64 bit version. It disables my Windows8Firewall Control from Sphinx by stoping a service and leaves a partial WiFi connection. I have no idea what WiFi i/o's are going on. I may need to install a sniffer.

Herein is Lenovo's issue.  When the WiFi drops, the Lenove task bar icon tells me the WiFi is off.  The software indicator tells me I'm not connected, yet I can open my browser and surf. So what is happening without my knowledge in the background?  Am I receiving a download?  Is the W540 sending data to a rogue site? (It should be noted that I use MS Security and Malwarebyte's both configured to recognize each other, and I have no virus or malware that I'm aware of.  In any event, I would never know, as there is NO WiFi or HD light to left me know the W540 is d/l or u/l to another computer.  This I do see on my other machine, and often, just an update streaming in. 

When I try to uninstall Java 64, I get a meter that tells me it is uninstalling, then it stop, with the unitall 'wait window', giving me no idea if a process i/o is going on, or it is locked. ( I'm able to safely remove the 32 bit version).

All during this time, I see no activity light for hard disk i/o or WiFi status light.  I'm wasting more time then being productive, as I have no idea if I should wait, reboot, stop a process, or an application.  If I reboot, I need to perform diskcheck, or in some cases I need to do a full restore prior to the Java 64 install.

I need JDownloader to work, and Java is the language.  Oddly, on my other machines, all works well -  Java and JDownloader.

So, my question remains: Has any one installed Java 64 on a W540 running Win 7 64 bit.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 635
Message 6 of 19

@Bauden wrote:
When the WiFi drops, the Lenove task bar icontells me the WiFi is off.  The software indicator tells me I'm not connected, yet I can open my browser and surf.

Which icon? Isn't it the Windows wifi icon?

Or, do you have ThinkVantage Access Connections installed? That has it's own toolbar.

Please clarify.

If you don't have TVAC installed, then I'm pretty sure your issues are a Windows <-> Java interaction.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 615
Message 7 of 19

It's the ThinkVantage icon that was off with a 'no entry' logo on the antenna..  At this point, I never noticed the Windows icon, I should have looked!  I'm too used to checking the WiFi light on my other system.   Smiley Sad

In any event, I'm back to normal, so to speak, w/o Java.  We'll wait for a new release of Java.

Takeda
HDMI
Views: 605
Message 8 of 19

Are you sure it doesn't have a WiFi, or HD light?    lol

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 587
Message 9 of 19

Ah!  I recall your fine photography.  Just a couple of words to thank you for the captures showing the M.2 SATA 6gSSDp/nSmiley FrustratedC2 M2 SSD.  I got one, and it works great.  Now I may get their 128GB or 256GB Pocket Vault SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to keep a total back up of my drive when travelling outside the black box.  I guess I could use the M.2 SATA to keep a copy of the main drive, but I prefer an external copy.  Thought USB 3 external key, but that is more cost effective (self booting is a plus).

A real life documented incident:  I'm licensed for  Photoshop CS6, and thought I should take Adobe's offer of the $10/month CC option with LR.  We'll after 2-3 days, I realized I needed a microscope to read the menus. Later I found that PROBLEM documented, so I cancelled CC, but Adobe's sale rep said I could keep it on the machine and when the resolution issue is resolved, resubscribe:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/problem_with_hi_res_monitors

To make a long story short(er), I usually log on in hotels, with special Firewall settings, blocking all Adobe host servers, Skype,... along with other uncontrolled call back packages.

I did not update that Host block feature on the Lenovo, and on the first night, to check my eMail, I logged on to the hotel's computer.  Next night, I wanted to d/l the captures of the day, and unknown to me, the W540 was connected to the Hotel's access port by default, and automatically logged on to the 'Net.  When I launched PS CS6, Adobe zapped my serial, with '0' days left on a trial as 'Extended' which I do not have (Adobe told me it saw the cancelled CC and also zapped the licensed CS).  Extented is an Adobe default built into the regular CS.

It took 5 calls and many hours into the night, with Adobe accessing the Lenovo to no avail, and a call to Lenovo, that also could not fix the problem. Adobe, went into the registry, changed permissions, changed resolution. Bottom line, I had a jobin Colorado and Utah for 3 weeks, and the computer was out of commission for the whole time.  I could just transfer the camera files to my external drive, and work on my assistant's machine.

Now, I cannot say that if I switched off WiFi before using PS this would not have happened, as the Adobe service may or does run in the background ad lib, but I do know for a fact that the check occurred when I launched PS CS6, which I notrmally run w/o WiFi connect when on the road.

Bottom line, if there had been a hard WiFi switch on the W540, that would not have happened, as I always start the machine with WiFi off.

As a side line, I discovered that another photographer had a similar issue with Adobe zapping the license, but she was home at the time, and her machine was not as complicated as my set up.  Many pro's I know are leary of the CC version and reliabilty, support, and time wasted.

Guru
Views: 572
Message 10 of 19

That last post of yours really smells like piracy. I am quite sure you are not allowed to block Adobe's servers.

You pretty much violated #8.1 in their 'Terms Of Service' agreement by blocking Adobe's servers.
http://www.adobe.com/misc/terms.html

To enable airplane mode, click the network icon in the system tray, and then enable airplane mode in the sidebar that appears.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors