Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
molechaser
Paper Tape
Views: 385
Message 1 of 6

W540 - Win10 upgrade problems

Thinkpad W540 will not upgrade to Win10 via Windows Update. Have also downloaded Media Creation Tool and Win10 iso file. All are 64-bit as is my processor and current Win8.1 Pro w/ Media Center. Have tried running MCT and iso as administrator with no success. I'm running out of time for a free upgrade! System has 8GB RAM and plenty of free space on hard drive. All 8.1 updates and patches are installed. All drivers are updated. Please help!

Molechaser

(retired ChE)

Moderator comment: Model added to subject for clarity.

practical
802.11n
Views: 373
Message 2 of 6

Re: W540 - Win10 upgrade problems

OOPS -- saw you tried this already. 

------------------------------------

Have you tried obtaining the upgrade directly from Microsoft via their Win10 Media Creation tool?

You will be able to download an entire .ISO file to burn a CD or create a bootable USB stick:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This works better, sometimes, than the Windows upgrade pestering message. 

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------

How are you fixed for disk space?  The upgrade needs qute a bit of extra room ~ 5 - 10 GB, at least, to store previous machine state.

Paper Tape
Views: 305
Message 3 of 6

I have plenty of disc space. Safe Mode wouldn't work either; it didn't recognize that my Win8.1 was activated.

Just finished a chat/remote session with Microsoft. The tech investigated and found that there is one or more hardware incompatibilities preventing the upgrade that must be resolved. My system is out of warranty at Lenovo as of last November. I can't seem to find any way to get support from Lenovo to find what the problems are and what it will take to fix them. The Lenovo web site even implies that Think products are serviced by corporate service centers rather than consumer.

Can anyone shed any light on the supposed hardware issues with a factory W540 built in November of 2014 and how to rectify this situation. I am located in the Birmingham, AL general area if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help.

Alan

Shawn3090
802.11n
Views: 291
Message 4 of 6

How was your system configured? I had no such issues upgrading my W540 to Windows 10.

W540: i7-4700mq, K2100m, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
T510: i7-620m, NVS 3100m, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 286
Message 5 of 6

Have you had a look at this guide?  There are a few things to uninstall that might be interfering with the upgrade.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103616

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Wendel
802.11n
Views: 275
Message 6 of 6

I have upgraded a W500 so I am sure your W540 can be upgraded also. Here is what I did. Download the Windows 10 iso file. Note, it may be Win 10 Home. Create the USB boot and then proceed to install. I installed on a new, virgin 250 GB SSD. At current prices I think it's the way to go. Now the trick. You will get a message, assuming you have a Win 7 Pro key you want to use for activation during the install, MS will tell you it can't activate a Win 10 HOME. But MS gives you a web site with a key you use from the MS Store for a FREE upgrade to Win 10 PRO. One more tidbit. After changing the virgin Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro for free, I decided not to enter my Win 7 Pro key. 2 days later my Win 10 pro is Activated by "Digital Entitlement. Live and learn the mysteries of MS.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors