cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 1,206
Message 1 of 11

W540 Workstation - Where is the Modem???

It just dawned on me that there is no modem on the W540  "WORKSTATION"!  I need to receive and send some faxes on a dial up while traveling.

Any suggestions?  Any experience with a USB modem? AND I NEED LIGHTS on the modem  Smiley Sad

Thank you in advanced for a forthcoming solution.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,143
Message 2 of 11

Re: W540 Workstation - Where is the Modem???

I have used www.faxzero to send faxes, but I have not had to look for a way to receive. I have used a couple of USB modems, but I never had good results. They would always go offline or disappear. I will add that I never tried any name-brand USB fax devices. I have only used the cheap ones from China. I have used Express Card serial ports to talk to chip readers and writers, so that is an option. You could connect the serial port to a real modem with real lights.  I had a lot better luck with serial cards that had a real UART that could be assigned to a legacy port address. Most have things that set up virtual ports that had no mappable address.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 1,131
Message 3 of 11

Thank you 'RichK'.

I've used SnappyFax since it must have been create, it's been so long.  The problem came up when I installed the program, and realized that this so called workstation has no modem.  OK, not an issue, as Fax are dying, but if you print to PDF and want to u/l on the road, it's the only way.  Not only that, the quality from the computer is so far superior.

This is a nightmare for me, cuts back my productivity. No wonder the ROW is moving so fast.

So another small brick to carry with me, If the Lenovo modem has lights, I'll try that, so there is no excuse for another failure.

Still welcoming comments on the best USB modem.  Needed by the end of April.  If it doesn't work, I'll finally give up and dump the system.  It's on CL, and my best offer is twelve hundred for a twenty four hundred workstation.  The after market must know something  Smiley Sad

rugrat
SCSI Port
Views: 1,118
Message 4 of 11

practical
802.11n
Views: 1,058
Message 5 of 11

No MODEM either? Why not just eliminate the CPU as well and really save money?
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,051
Message 6 of 11

There is no modem port since the W530 - since nearly no one uses it anymore.

Just look at the competition - neither ZBooks nor Precisions have a modem port - even their 17" models don´t have one. Thats no coincidence...

practical
802.11n
Views: 1,045
Message 7 of 11

A modem is a bit like a firearm -- most of the time, pretty useless but when you need one, you really need one.
(To paraphrase W.E.B. Griffin).
HDMI
Views: 992
Message 8 of 11

My W540 doesn't have a parallel printer port, or a 9-pin serial port either.......

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 984
Message 9 of 11

I actually carry around an express card serial port in my computer bag. It took me a while to find one that would work for me. Most of the cards use virtual ports, but I needed one that had a real UART so it could map to the addresses that were used in DOS and be COM1 or COM2.  I also carry around a parallel port and a USB modem, but I don't use them often.  I frequently need the serial port

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 954
Message 10 of 11

Indeed..... I still use a USRobotics Courier 56K on the main desktop via serial card.

On the road, I print to PDF, and if requested by the very few..... once or twice a year, I print the PDF to fax using http://www.snappysoftware.com/.  We'll have to try the modem brick when it gets here:

http://www.usr.com/en/products/modem/usr5637/

I must admit, that only once in the last 10+ years on the road, did I have to go into fax receive mode! A pain due to hotel switch.  I had to go to the business office to hook up.   Smiley Sad

Parallel port??  We, have Laserjets, solid machines, connected via Netgear ethernet mini print server.

(I realize your last post was in jest!)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors