Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sugarsmoking
Paper Tape
Views: 1,311
Message 1 of 8

W540 brick after BIOS update

Hi all.

I have one month old W540. I received a notice on several recommended updates via Lenovo software, among them a BIOS update. Naivly enough, I accepted to install them all. All was installed successfully, but upon restart, my computer hangs with just a black screen.

When power is pressed, it starts the keyboard light and turns it down. Nothing else.

I tried draining the BIOS battery by removing battery and power and pressing the power button for 1 minute. No change.

There are some threads out there that  explain how to use a crisis recovery disk. However, can someone help with BIOS type? I'd also rather try it with older version on BIOS, but I don't know where I can download from?

I want to try the fix on my own, since I am currently working on a project not near to any service, I'll be here for three weeks more, and I really need my computer.

Help please!

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 1,249
Message 2 of 8

Re: W540 brick after BIOS update

I should preface this, that I have not done this with a W540, but with other computers.

I'm using BIOS 2.10 which as of today appears to the latest.   Dowload the install version from "Update from a Bootable CD".  If you are a geek, you could in theory make a USB booting disk and install that way.

>  BIOS Update Bootable CD for Windows 8.1 (64-bit), 8 (64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad W540

Then change the BIOS to boot from the DVD/CD Drive (you can immediately hit the clealy labelled <F12> key to start the boot selection menu.

It might by default go to the DVD drive if it cannot find the HD.  Do make sure your computer is connected to the mains.  Just check the light to make sure you are on AC.

Follow the on screen directions, or it might start the BIOS update as a default.  When finished, remove the CD, reboot, and you should be good.  In any event,you will have to reset the BIOS to use the default OS drive. It may work without reseting, as normal BIOS check all drives until it finds a bootable device.  If the bootable device is not the primary choice in the BIOS, it will boot, but there will be a delay.  That can clearly be seen on the HD i/o light as the computer seeks.

sugarsmoking
Paper Tape
Views: 1,232
Message 3 of 8

Bauden,

thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately, I am unable to access anything on my computer. After doing a BIOS update (recommended by Lenovo) from Windows, I got the message it was succesfull, but after reboot the computer is dead.

When i hit the power button I get just a light on it, the keyboard lights and turns off - but the screen stays black. 

I'm looking for a procedure to recover from a bad BIOS update. I found some solutions for Phoenix bios but it's not working.

I anyone has some recommendation. please HELP!!!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,197
Message 4 of 8

If you bought through normal channels, you have a warranty. Right now, it is a warranty issue. If you try to fix it yourself, it could become your issue. First step is to call support: 1-800-426-7378

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
sugarsmoking
Paper Tape
Views: 1,174
Message 5 of 8

Thanks richk,

I did buy through normal channels. The thing is that I am on one desolated place on a project and I don't have access to service here. I called the support but they can't do much from there.

I was reading that there is some sort of mode you can enter to get your computer to read the bios from USB stick in cases such as mine. I am not able to find out if there is such a mode for w540. It's frustrating knowing that your computer doesn't have a hardware fault and you still are not able to use it. Especially that being so because of an update Lenovo listed as recommended.

Anyway, at this point it's packed in a bag and waiting for return to US to get it fixed.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 650
Message 6 of 8

I have never been successful rebuilding a BIOS from a USB stick on a ThinkPad.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
sergeyc
Paper Tape
Views: 399
Message 7 of 8

Today i have got “critical update” notification from lenovo and let it update BIOS on my perfectly working W540. Now i have beeping brick. It looks like great business strategy - if your customer is using your product for more than a year after warranty ends, just remotely kill it, to let him buy from you another super product. Well done lenovo, thank you.

Ventureca
Paper Tape
Views: 392
Message 8 of 8

I have the similar expereince. My P51s just passed its one year aniversary. I received a bios update notice in Windows from Lenovo. After the bios update, external monitor connecting via the HDMI port blinks two or three times every minute. The monitor works fine with other laptops. Fortunately, I upgraded my 1-year warranty to 3-year when I purchased the laptop last year.  I am waiting for their next bios update. If the issue persists after next bios update, I will ship the laptop back to Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors