Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AB2156
Paper Tape
Views: 432
Message 1 of 5

W540 failed TWICE!

In March this year (2014), I purchased a Lenovo W540 (referred to as L1) which was later found to have a defective mother board.  Lenovo sent me a replacement W540 (referred to as L2), which I have slowly installed the necessary programs, and transferred files from L1 to L2.  It had been working well and  I was getting ready to ship back L1.

However, last week, I noticed that the DVD drive icon was not appearing on my L2 desktop.  I placed a service call and was told to do a "system restore" to the last backup.  (Service ID A07SL9W).   That fixed the problem temporarily.  When the DVD icon disappeared again days later, I repeated the same process.  Then I started getting the Windows Boot Manager on L2, indicating "an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data."  Per a subsequent service call (902JFVQ), Lenovo sent me a set of 2 boot disks.  I tried booting the system up with those disks this morning, but quit the process when it looked like it was going to reformat my hard drive and wiping out my data.  There are some files on L2 that I need to retrieve.

I called tech support again, who transferred me to the software group (855) 271-3878.  The software group said the data file could be retrieved, but Lenovo will charge me $120 for sending out recovery disk to retrieve files on my hard drive (service # 381-053).

With all the troubles that I have gone through thus far, spending significant $ for what I hoped to be a great top-of-the-line machine, is it reasonable for Lenovo to be charging me anything to retrieve my files on L2?  I would have expected Lenovo to send a service tech to my office and take care of all these problems, once and for all.  That's what great companies do.  I have expended significant amount of time off work to deal with all the issues with the Lenovo L1 and L2.  I really can't be bothered anymore with these issues.

What can Lenovo do?  What SHOULD they do?  What are my best options to get a fully functioning laptop again ASAP?  Thanks for prompt reply!
Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 364
Message 2 of 5

Re: W540 failed TWICE!

Just curious.  What is a DVD drive icon? There are no indicator lights on this Workstation.  How do you know the DVD is not working?

I have/had a DVD drive, and it worked so so, aside from being a PITA to open, but never had a DVD drive icon on the desktop.

Guru
Views: 337
Message 3 of 5

Probably the drive letter in Computer. The machine will shut off the optical drive to conserve power. Just hit the eject button to power it back on.

You can disable this behavior in Power Manager.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
AB2156
Paper Tape
Views: 304
Message 4 of 5

i meant the dvd icon.  The drive was working.  The software was messed up so you cannot explore the dvd contents.

AB2156
Paper Tape
Views: 301
Message 5 of 5

good to know.  But why did the tech support guy not think of that?  He directed me to do a system restore, which solved the problem at the time, but ultimately messed up the booting process.  Lenovo has escalated my complaint, but has yet to call me back (since last thursday).  And i dont want to reformat my drive before retrieiving several newly generated files.  Good thing i still got my old Dell, which is slower but more reliable.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors