cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julianh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 923
Message 1 of 4

W540 with 90W ultra dock (and the 540's 170W PSU)

so - I tried saving money on a 2nd ultra dock for my W540 (I have 2 offices I travel between with desks setup..) And I bought something off ebay for an OK price..

Despite the dock and power supply being described in the auction body as the 170W version, when it showed up it's actually the 90W version... Now the dock and power supply came halfway across the world from Israel, so I'm preferring not to have to waste my time and money sending it back. The vendor has offered me $20 refund to keep it and use it as-is, which I think is pretty unfair seeing it's their mistake, and it'll cost more than that to make it good I think.... On the flipside, if I send this back at my cost it'll be $30-$40 to send.... and what if it goes missing on the way back?

I was hoping that even though the part numbers on the actual docks are slightly different (my old one = SD20A06041, this new one = SD20A06046) they look pretty much identical, and  I can still at least use this new dock at 2nd office , and continue to lug my power supply between offices. Am I right here? Would prefer to ask rather than try as trying involves opening the plastic on the dock, which is factory sealed right now... also would hate to damage it..

Then, Ideally I need to sort out a 2nd PSU as one of the main points of having 2 docks was going to be I didnt have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting and lugging that huge brick from office to office! 

I'm wondering what the cheapest option will be to get the correct PSU (I can buy for $100ish from lenovo, and be sure it's right or can buy an old style 170W supply from ebay locally for $45 and maybe swap out the cable from the 90W supply into this 170W supply?) 

Anyway- thanks in advance for any advice that doesn't result in me turning this mistake into an even bigger one... (I'm really wishing I'd just ordered the whole thing from lenovo right now... this whole exercise has been such a hassle and waste of time.)

julianh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 916
Message 2 of 4

Re: W540 with 90W ultra dock (and the 540's 170W PSU)

hmmm... looks like buying the cheap 170W adapter and frankensteining the 90W rectangular cable onto it could be problematic?? these square connectors have ID resistors in them and I'd have to hack open the overmould to fix this? 

Looks like there's a nice cheap 3rd party adapter on ebay for connecting an old round power supply into a new rectangular laptop, but these adapters also need hacking open to change an ID resistor? 

julianh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 855
Message 3 of 4

come on... surely SOMEONE at Lenovo or here in the forum knows if these different P/Ns for the two docks I have are actually the same basic thing or something fundamentally incompatible?

I would really like to hear something before I open the bag to try it myself and risk being able to return something or worse - risk causing damage!

julianh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 843
Message 4 of 4

well no thanks to all the lenovo employees who undoubtedly saw this and couldnt be bothered responing.... FYI I ended up plugging it in with my 170W adapter and it seems to work, so that's good at least.

I guess I can chalk up the slightly different model number to a company that enjoys deliberately hiding information in order to sell more things.... 

Now to figure out what to do about getting a 170W supply. I think that whatever I do, I will go 2nd hand and avoid doing anything that gives more money to lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors