Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thinkdockuser
What's DOS?
Views: 374
Message 1 of 6

W541 170W Ultra Dock power adapter dead, serial number and warranty resolution

Hello fellow Thinkpad users,

It appears that the 170W power adapter of my lenovo ultra dock just died. I can not charge my computer, neither directly neither via the dock. However, if I use my other 170W adapter supplied with my W541, both the dock and the laptop work.

I have my dock serial number sucessfully recognized by the warranty check tool on lenovo's website, however, when I try to file a case, the system can no longer recognize my serial number.

The dock was bought from the UK, do you know any Lenovo representative which I should contact. Very much appreciated for any input.

Cheers,

Deyan

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 358
Message 2 of 6

Re: W541 170W Ultra Dock power adapter dead, serial number and warranty resolution

Hello and welcome,

From the "contact us" phone list:

United Kingdom
THINK-branded products
English
0333-777-3991 (National Rate)
9:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

thinkdockuser
What's DOS?
Views: 352
Message 3 of 6

Re: W541 170W Ultra Dock power adapter dead, serial number and warranty resolution

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for the advice. I just called them and was informed that a docking station was considered as an accessory by Lenovo and the official technical support is not dealing with accessory issues. Hence, they guided me to contact my customer.

This is a bit bizzare, as I can sucessfuly verify online that my dock is still in warranty, however, paradoxally Lenovo refuses to speak about it.

Maybe someone else knows any other formal way of tackling this problem.

Regards,

Deyan

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 331
Message 4 of 6

Hi Deyan, welcome to the community,

that is strange and to my knowledge incorrect.  Please call again; my experience was always for them to open a case using your notebook serial number and then treat the docking and it's components as notebook CRUs (Customer Replaceable Unit).  Please let me know the outcome.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

thinkdockuser
What's DOS?
Views: 322
Message 5 of 6

Hi Andy,

After waiting 30 minutes on the line I was finally connected with a member of the support team, who this time seemed to be more technically aware and accepted my warranty. I was promised to be sent a replacement unit these days.

Thus, it really seems like it all depends on the competence of the person you get connected to. The Lenovo support lady I spoke to yesterday was pretty rude and asked me to send an e-mail to Amazon instead, explaining my issue and returning the whole docking station, as it was "just an accessory". Ah well, I hope that now it will all end up okay in the end.

Thanks for your sharp reply, it did seem as the case procedure is exactly as you described it.

Regards,

Deyan

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 319
Message 6 of 6

Hi Deyan,

Thanks for getting back with the update, perhaps you could come back and also let us know when the dock has arrived and mark your above post, at that time, as the solution?

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors