Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
polomora
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,703
Message 1 of 5

W541: Cannot boot from USB created with Windows 8 create recovery drive

Hello,

I have just bought a W541, and want to install the supplied Windows 8 on an m.2 SSD.

I created the recovery drive on a USB following the instructions in the User Manual, but the recover image procedure under Advanced Options cannot find the USB.

During the re-image step, it fails to find a drive with a valid image.

I've confirmed using the command window available under the Advanced Options that the USB is mounted

Searching these forums, I found the following, which describes a similar problem for a T540:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-W-Series-Laptops/Lenovo-W540-won-t-boot-from-USB-flash-drive-T...

This implies that the USB should first be formatted with FAT32 before use, which cannot work, since FAT32 only has a maximum 4 GB  partition, whereas when copied to the USB, the Windows 8 recovery drive occupies nearly 10 GB.

Is it possible to specify the boot order from insde the BIOS? I could only find an entry under Security about UEFI boot enabling, nothing about the boot order.

Can anyone help?

Paul

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,672
Message 2 of 5

Re: W541: Cannot boot from USB created with Windows 8 create recovery drive

@polomora wrote:

This implies that the USB should first be formatted with FAT32 before use, which cannot work, since FAT32 only has a maximum 4 GB  partition, whereas when copied to the USB, the Windows 8 recovery drive occupies nearly 10 GB

FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB.  UEFI-bootable flash drives are FAT32.

Is your drive FAT32 or NTFS?  I'd expect the creation tool to format it FAT32.  Perhaps something else is wrong.  I've seen a few USB 3.0 flash drives that didn't work correctly in some USB 3.0 ports.  Try a USB 2.0 port if your laptop has one, or plug it in via a USB 2.0 hub.

Not saying that's what is wrong, just something to try.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

polomora
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,657
Message 3 of 5

Hello Z, thanks for the reply.

I tried another USB drive, and created a recovery drive, as before.

This time it was able to detect the presence of the drive when I tapped on the Enter key when starting up, followed by the F12 key. 

However, there are still problems when I clicked through the options:

Choose the language

Choose your keyboard layout

Troubleshoot

Advanced options

System Image Recovery

At this point I am offered the option Windows 8.1.

When I select this, it indicates it is scanning for system disks, and then displays the the pop-up window "Re-image your computer": "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer"

Why does this happen if it detected that there was a Windows 8.1 installation on the USB?

I've spent a whole day now on this. Luckily, if I can't solve it, the machine is new and I can send it back to Lenovo, and ask to have it re-imaged with the downgrade option to Windows 7.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,645
Message 4 of 5

Hi again,

When you created the recovery drive did you check the box that says to include the recovery image?  The basic recovery drive only contains the tools, not the image.

Since you said it's 10G worth of data it seems like it does include the image.

Another thought:  don't select System Image Recovery.  That's the option to use if you've made an actual backup of your as-in-use system.  A recovery to the out-of-box state is a Reset (IIRC).  Reset uses the saved recovery image, not a user-created backup image.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht076024

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

polomora
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,623
Message 5 of 5

Brilliant Z,

That solved it. Simple naming definition.

I thought a reset simply involved removing user account data, while leaving the Windows installation itself intact.

Now happy with my W541, with Windows now running on the m.2 SSD.

Many thanks again,

Paul

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors