Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ranger34
Paper Tape
Views: 509
Message 1 of 7

W541 hangs when disconnecting Apple Thunderbolt display

Hello,

My W541 ThinkPad with Windows 8.1 hangs/freezes completely every time I disconnect my Apple Thunderbolt 27inch display. I have to hard reboot the machine to recover.

Note that this does not happen with another monitor which connects via the Thunderbolt plug (although this one is not a true Thunderbolt connection but rather a mini DisplayPort)

I have tried updating the NVidia drivers (NVIDIA Optimus Display Driver for Windows 8.1 (64-bit) - ThinkPad) and also installed the Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver for Windows 8.1 (64-bit) - ThinkPad W540, W541

Thanks

3RIC
Paper Tape
Views: 445
Message 2 of 7

Re: W541 hangs when disconnecting Apple Thunderbolt display

I am having this exact problem, only my OS is Win7 Enterprise and I'm connecting to a large LCD TV using HDMI + Thunderbolt adapter

tried 2 different TVs today (different conf rooms at work) and both froze my laptop.

Driver versions:
Intel: 10.18.14.4264 (date 8/4/2015)
NVIDIA: 9.18.13.1269 (date 10/28/2013)

This is my first lenovo in years, very disappointing! I can't remember the last time I had a PC completely freeze like this, must be over 10 yrs ago.
3RIC
Paper Tape
Views: 443
Message 3 of 7

ranger: just to confirm you're still having the issue after installing the drivers you linked to?
ranger34
Paper Tape
Views: 425
Message 4 of 7

That's correct

3RIC
Paper Tape
Views: 415
Message 5 of 7

Bummer!

I have an update too. I installed the intel thunderbolt driver and was able to connect/disconnect without freezing. so far it seems like the problem seems to occur after having been connected to thunderbolt display for a period of time, not immediately. I'll update this thread as I learn more.
3RIC
Paper Tape
Views: 414
Message 6 of 7

Hey ranger,

If you get the chance I'd be curious to know whether your system locks if you connect to thunderbolt and then disconnect within a few minutes? in my case the problem seems to happen after I've been connected for some time.

also is this your work laptop? I'm wondering if some 3rd party software like webex could be contributing to the problem.
ranger34
Paper Tape
Views: 406
Message 7 of 7

Hi,

My machine locks up even if I connect and disconnect right away (and also after a few minutes)

It's indeed a work machine. Webex is not installed but skype for business is.

Any help from Lenovo?? 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors