Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmorvan
Paper Tape
Views: 3,671
Message 1 of 11

W541 - need to restart to see second hard drive - Opticaddy

Hello,

On a W541 we need to restart the laptop every day to see the second HDD.

The hard disk dessapears after a shutdown / startup sequence, it is like the laptop bios was starting too quickly and does not have enough time to detect the second hard disk.

The hard disk is located in a caddy (replacing the optical drive): Opticaddy© SATA-3 HDD/SSD

http://opticaddy.com/opticaddy-sata-3-hddssd-caddy-for-lenovo-thinkpad-t440p-t540p-t540-w540-w541-w5...

The Seond hard disk model is ST1000LM014

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/laptop-solid-state-hybrid-drive...

the Lenovo W541 bios version is 2.20

I have tried the solution discussed in the following thread, whitout solving my issue

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/W540-need-to-restart-to-see-second-hard-...

We have 5 laptops equiped with the same caddy and the same HDD, they are processing all the same trouble.

Does anybody already encountered this kind of issue ? how do you solved this ?

I am tired to reboot my laptop every morning.

Thanks for your help.

jerry6
Punch Card
Views: 3,631
Message 2 of 11

Re: W541 - need to restart to see second hard drive - Opticaddy

try bios 2.23 , seems to be working on my computer . avoid bios 2.24 , problems if you use a docking station , and other problems

No garantees , I'm no Lenovo tech , in fact my first lenovo laptop , used H? ELITE previously , but they are no longer competitive in specs /price . So far like  the W-541 .

jmorvan
Paper Tape
Views: 3,600
Message 3 of 11

Hi jerry6

Thanks you for your feedback, much appreciate.

I will try to upgrade the bios to the 2.23 version

I do ot use a dock station, even this I will try the same version as yours.

As i am not available in the next two weeks, I will try the bios update in the start of january 2016.

I will provide the result in this topic.

Thanks

jerry6
Punch Card
Views: 3,593
Message 4 of 11

hope it works out for you and your computer . Let us all know if it works , or if it does not . If it does not work for you it might not be a bios fault , will have to loook at other areas to solve the problem

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,584
Message 5 of 11

Hello,

Is the hard disk drive installed into one of those metal trays with plastic insulation, or is it plugged directly into the removable drive caddy?  If the latter, perhaps the drive's circuit board is grounding out or causing some sort of intermittent short circuit?  I know it seems like an odd thing to go away on a reboot, but I have seen this happen before with older models, and the solution for me was to install the tray between the drive and the caddy.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

jerry6
Punch Card
Views: 3,563
Message 6 of 11

my drive is plugged direct to the caddy , the caddy has some type of insulating paper where the drive sits , then again I've had no problems .
Good suggestion , less chance of the drive moving with that tray holding it in place
jmorvan
Paper Tape
Views: 3,515
Message 7 of 11

Hello,

Back  from vacation I continue to try to solve my issue. Best Wishes for 2016 :-)

I have updated the firmware to the version 2.21

(no download link for a newer version on the Lenovo support site).

after this update, the issue still occurs.

@jerry6 where did you find the 2.23 bios version for your W541 ?

@goretsky

Here what the caddy looks like, so the circuit board of the hard disk cannot is grounding out.

opticaddy_web.png

BitLocker is enabled on the main disk. (SSD Samsung 850 pro)

When the laptop starts I can hear a "little noise" from the HDD like it wants to initialise.

I try to enable bit locker on the secondary hdd. (target installation will get the bitLocker enabled)

I will also check the chipset drivers to see if they are up to date just in case.

I continue to search, If you have some other ideas, do not hesitate to share

Thanks.

jerry6
Punch Card
Views: 3,504
Message 8 of 11

Didn't get it , but it's what came with computer bios 2.23 , laptop is new 6 weeks old  same type caddy I'm using

Highlighted
Andreas5
Punch Card
Views: 3,502
Message 9 of 11

Hello jmorvan,

I just realised I have the same problem with my caddy, so I did some tests and found a solution.

My configuration:

W541 Bios 2.24

SSD as main disk with Windows 10 Pro

second SSD in caddy (same typ as you have)

on the second SSD I installed Linux, therefore with windows I did not realise the disk is missing.

When I shutdown the computer and start it again the disk is not visible in the diskmanager

With restarting the system the disk appears.

So I disabled fastboot in windows and now the disk appears without restarting the computer.

I think the problem is a combination of fastboot and the optimized boot sequence of the laptop.

When you shutdown windows with fastboot it's a kind of hibernation and not a "normal" shutdown.

Andreas

jmorvan
Paper Tape
Views: 3,395
Message 10 of 11

Hello all,

I tried two solution this week (on two W541 laptops) The both solutions have worked.

This week, the second hard disk was available at each startup. Cat Happy

- First one : disable the windows fastboot (here a procedure to do that http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-or-enable-fast-startup-in-windows-8-1/)

- Second: as the BitLocker was enabled on the first HDD, I also enabled it on the second hard-disk.

The issue seeems to  be located in the booting process of Windows that is now starting too quickly to initialyse properly the hardware !?

Thank You for your help, I can now use my laptop normally.

Thank You also to Opticaddy for their support and good communication.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors