Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jhbryaniv
Paper Tape
Views: 430
Message 1 of 5

W550s Battery wont charge - data lost

Overview of whats been happening the last week or so:

Last week the power button (the black circle part) stop sitting flat, like the spring had stopped being springy but the power on/off function worked until yesterday.  I could not get the laptop to power on, assuming the button was toast I removed the bottom of the laptop,just like I did when I installed the extra drive and added RAM when I first got the laptop.  Finding that the power button was buried to a point I could not easily assess it's viability I closed the laptop up.  This morning I turned on the laptop and only had 2% battery, yesterday I had nearly 70% when I closed the lid and put it to sleep.  no big deal right?  So I plug the laptop in.  it doesn't recognize it is plugged in.  I begin at the wall, changing the outlet, remove and replace in the laptop, power cycle the laptop nothing worked.  I shut down the laptop until I could look deeper into the issue.  few hours later I pull it out again , plug it in and power it up after several attempts it starts up and recognizes the charger.  The laptop was running slow at this point so I rebooted, when it rebooted a popup appeared saying the incorrect power adapter was being used.  sweet I thought, the adapter is toast I will just use my docking station at home.  Come home put it on the dock and the dock does not recognize the laptop is there and the laptop doesn;t see the dock.  well crap.  

I plug the laptop in on the table, same adapter as earlier, and leave it for a few hours.  When I come back after dinner it starts up with no issues I log in using my credentials and everything seems to be working fine, except that all my data is gone, my documents is empty, desktop back to default all my settings gone.  All my login credentials work for the different accounts but all the main drive data is gone...

That is probably a side issue due to removing the back of the laptop.

I shut down the laptop again, remove the back make sure everything is connected restart and the bloody thing fails to recognize the adapter again.  

Ran virus scan, twice nothing found.

My thought is mother board issue.  as in something happened and the MB got toasted.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advanced.

Respectfully,

John B.

jhbryaniv
Paper Tape
Views: 355
Message 2 of 5

Re: W550s Battery wont charge - data lost

Appears there was an issue with my SSD.

Installed a new SSD drive today, restored using Lenovo bootable USB and have windows back.

Now to figure out how to downgrade back to Windows 7 . . .
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 346
Message 3 of 5

If you upgraded to windows 10 less than a month ago, windows 10 gives you that option under recovery

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jhbryaniv
Paper Tape
Views: 337
Message 4 of 5

When I got the laptop, it shipped with Windows 7, but the recovery only gave me the option of windows 10.

Seems I may be stuck with it if I want a factory functional laptop. Shrug.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 331
Message 5 of 5

Call Lenovo support and see if theycan send you media for the original OS

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors