cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
remste17
Fanfold Paper
Views: 39,659
Message 1 of 7

W550s - driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (Netwtw04.sys)

One of many crashes on this system I have total buyer's remorse on. Can I start an "I hate Lenovo and will never ever purchase another ThinkPad" forum? If this system crashes or goes into one of its many issues while I'm working on a project one more time I might just throw it out a window.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 39,645
Message 2 of 7

Re: W550s - driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (Netwtw04.sys)

That error is related an issue with an Intel Wireless card driver and the Microsoft Windows Operating system.

Try updating the drivers for the Intel Wireless card from the link below and see if the problem goes away.    One of the fixes mentioned in Intel's patch for their card is related to Blue Screen/crashes, so hopefully this will address your issue.

Be sure to pick the correct Windows OS running on your system and then choose Networking:Wireless LAN form the Pick a Component pull down to locate the driver.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-w-series-laptops/thinkpad-w55...

You can also keep drivers up to date using ThinkVantage System Update

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/tvsu-update

Hope that helps. 

remste17
Fanfold Paper
Views: 39,607
Message 3 of 7

I run system update regularly, there was no indication of any driver update needed. After looking at the most recent driver update on the Lenovo driver update page, I see I installed the latest version 2 weeks ago. So, nothing wrong on my end from what I can tell.

I won't ever buy another Lenovo, period.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 39,597
Message 4 of 7

Hi remste17,

I know that you are frustrated, but you are kind of barking up the wrong tree here.

While true that Lenovo makes the laptop, Microsoft make the Window operating system that is thowing the error, and Intel makes the wireless card, and the Netwtw04.sys driver that is reporting the error, so you need to address those if you want to find a solution to your problem.

If you did just get a new driver, then you can verify that by checking the version currently installed

• Right click on Start, and select Device Manager
  • From within the Device Manager window, double click/select Network Adapters
  • Right click on the Intel Wireless Adapter and select Properties
  • Select the Drivers tab and vefify that the installed driver is version 18.40.0
  • If not, then you need to update from the link I provided earlier.

• If it is already at vesion 18.40.0, then in the same Drivers windo  select the option to Roll Back Driver  (The reason for rolling back is see if there is an issue with the new driver Intel releaed around March 10th that is causing your problem, so by rollling back, you will go back to the previous version that hopefuly is stable).

Another thing to do would be to run a Windows CheckDisk of the hard drive just to make sure that all the files are in order etc,

To Run CheckDisk

• Close any open applicatons
  • Right click on start, and select Command Pompt (Admin)
  • In the Command Prompt (Admin) window and type:   chkdsk    
  • Press enter

Checkdisk will scan the hard driver for any errors, and if so prompt you to run it again in Fix Mode, which will require a reboot.  

To run in Fix Mode

• Type the following in the same Command Prompt Admin Window opened previously:    chkdsk /f  
  • Press Enter

Check Disk will run prior to Windows loading the next time you reboot your laptop.

Hope that helps.

Guru
Views: 39,591
Message 5 of 7

Install the latest WLAN driver from here. That solved the bluescreening on my ThinkPad T450 with the same wireless card, Intel Wireless-AC 7265.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

richrm51
What's DOS?
Views: 33,008
Message 6 of 7

I have a Lenovo Yoga 900 that downloaded the WLAN driver version 19.0.0.9  and caused me to start having the BSOD.  I reverted back to driver version  18.40.0.12 via Device Manager and the problem was fixed.  I do not know if Intel and Microsoft know that this driver is causing serious crashes on Windows 10.  

Yeshwant
What's DOS?
Views: 17,240
Message 7 of 7

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (Netwtw04.sys) error

I get this error approx once a month.

Based on what is said by JDGillis at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/W550s-driver-irql-not-less-or-equal-Netw... url, I checked the Intel Wireless driver update status on my laptop. The driver is up-to-date. Below are the details:

Network adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Driver version: 19.1.0.4 date 7/14/2016

JDGillis: Can you please suggest me what should I do to fix this issue?

Thanks

Yeshwant

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors