Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheDJVG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,875
Message 1 of 30

W550s: horrible performance

Hey all,

I'm using a w550s since May now and I'm very disappointed in the performance.

I'm unable to watch any movies without enormous lag or audio stutters, opening facebook causes 100% CPU load and an unresponsive system. When I'm watching Youtube I can't use Skype because I'll have a 0.5 sec delay when I press a key on my keyboard (and still 100% cpu load).

This is what happends when I open facebook in chrome: Opening facebook

I've tried to reinstall the system with a clean version of Windows 8.1, downloaded only the important drivers from the lenovo website and also removed the PM driver to check if this resolves the issue, it doesn't.

I also tried to set everything to maximum performance in energy management, no luck.

I have this problem while its docked and using my two Dell U2715H screens (both connected to the display ports at the docking station) or when I'm using the high resolution build-in screen (no touch, anti-glare).

Also I noticed I'm always running on the integrated GPU and never using the nVidia K620 (as far as I can see).

I really wondering what is causing this, is the CPU and GPU really this slow? I understand it's a low power version of the i7, but really, this slow? It's not worth the enormous amount of money...

Hopefully there is a solution for this, or maybe my w550s is broken in some way (I ran the Lenovo diagnostic utility multiple times).

Can anyone tell me if they had this kind of performance issues (besides the PM driver)?

Thanks!

Daan

Boris_NL
Paper Tape
Views: 4,837
Message 2 of 30

Re: W550s: horrible performance

Hi, I'm using a W550s with the same CPU/RAM config as you and I ame experiencing none of the problems you are.

I should note that this is after changing a few settings alomost out of the box, I suggest you take the same steps:

1. Install the following software and drivers:

-BIOS Update Utility for Windows 10 (64-bit), 8.1 (64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad T550, W550s

-Intel Chipset Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit), 8.1 (64-bit) - ThinkPad Helix (Types: 20CG, 20CH), T550,W550s, X1 Carbon (Types: 20BS, 20BT)

-Intel Management Engine 10.0 Software for Windows 10 (64-bit), 8.1 (64-bit) - ThinkPad

-Intel Management Engine Firmware 10.0 for Windows 10 (64-bit), 8.1 (64-bit) - ThinkPad -

-Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control (CPPC) driver for Windows 10 (64-bit), 8.1 (64-  bit) - ThinkPad Helix (Type 20CG, 20CH), T550, W550s, X1 Carbon (Type 20BS, 20BT)

-Lenovo Power Management Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit), 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Laptop -Lenovo Active Protection System for Windows 10 (64-bit), 8.1 (64-bit) - Notebook

2. In the BIOS, make sure that in the power menu the settings for Intel Speedstep Technology and Adaptive Thermal Management are as follows:

Intel SpeedStep® technology

Mode for AC • Maximum Performance

Mode for Battery • Maximum Performance

Adaptive Thermal Management

Scheme for AC • Maximize Performance

Scheme for Battery • Maximize Performance

3. In Windows there is a Lenove program called Lenovo Settings (W8 App). In this program there is a menu power, within the power menu you can switch intelligent cooling on or off. Make sure it is turned off.

Hope this helps.

TheDJVG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,817
Message 3 of 30

Hello Boris,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

1. I already had the latest version of all the drivers, I just updated the bios, no difference.

2. I already changed the performance options in the bios a month ago, no difference.

3. Already did this too, everything is on max performance.

To make things even worse, I had a lot of artifacts today and I decided to contact Lenovo.

I have more problems with this laptop: 

- Random lockups

- BSODS that I can't explain.

- Unable to find Samsung SSD during boot.

I've ran all the lenovo diagnostics tools, no errors. Also ran memtest with 2 passes, no problems found.

I think there is something wrong at the inside (i'm almost sure after the weird gpu artifacts today) and Lenovo support thinks the same, they want to pick it up and check out what's going on.

Hopefully they are able to resolve this issues, I'm not really able to work with this device at this moment.

Daan

Boris_NL
Paper Tape
Views: 4,805
Message 4 of 30

Helle Daan,

You're welcome.

Given the things you've done I can only agee something hardware related must be wrong and Lenovo seems to agree. The additional problems you're describing do occur with M2 SSD's as a boot drive. You have Samsung SATA SSD, so these problems are probably not SSD related.

Hopefully Lenovo fixes your issues because when it worls propely the W550s is a great notebook.

Boris

sirpumpkin
Paper Tape
Views: 4,695
Message 5 of 30

Hey,

I have (although not THAT bad) similar problems with my W550s. Any update on yours?

TheDJVG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,639
Message 6 of 30

Well, Lenovo has trouble picking up the device, first they went to the wrong address twice and secondly they forgot to bring a box to put it in.

Lenovo support says they don't bring boxes anymore but they didn't tell me, so now I need to find a box myself....

I seriously start to regret buying this Thinkpad, it's a piece of **bleep** and Lenovo support isn't any better.

I'm using a Asus X50VL with 3GB of RAM, Intel T7300 CPU and ATI X2300 GPU as replcement now (8 years old) and it performs 10 times faster than my W550s, even plays full hd video's and I can keep using Skype!

Hopefully Lenovo will fix this otherwise this is the last Thinkpad for me and the company.

sdu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,533
Message 7 of 30

Hi,

I have the same problem since the upate to windows 10.

Whole history :

- At first, I had this problem after buying the NB (Win 8.1).

- After upgrading all drivers, using the lenovo update software, everything was working fine.

- Upgrade Win 8.1 to Win 10

- No problem detected for 2 weeks

- bad luck : my M2 ssd crashed, so need to install a fresh copy of Win 10

Since the fresh install, the problem is back : when I start the notebook the cpu speed is ok (around 2,9-3Ghz)

After few minutes of high use, the cpu speed drop to 0,9-0,75Ghz (max perf profile ...)

I installed the latests chipset drivers and power manager from lenovo web site but not change

Tried by disabling intel step speed and cpu power management in bios : no change

I suspect that during the upgrade 8.1 -> 10 some old drivers / config solve the problem but after clean install the problem is back.

I hope some lenovo tech will find a solution because this is not acceptable for a W notebook.

Thanks

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,524
Message 8 of 30

You can try to disable the "Intelligent Cooling" in the Lenovo Settings App (in the energy section).

If that doesn´t help, try to deinstall the Active Protection system.

TheDJVG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,516
Message 9 of 30

Small update from my side.

Because Lenovo still failed to pick up the laptop I gave it another try.

I installed a clean copy of window 10 I disabled the option "CPU Power management"  in the BIOS. I don't think this option was there in the past in older versions.

I also disabled everything that has to do with power mangement and power saving in WIndows itslef and I must say, it's working better. Still to slow but I can work with this, hopefully Lenovo fixes this for good in the future.

sdu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,477
Message 10 of 30

Hi,

Thanks I've done same :

- Bios : disable cpu power management

- Uninstall Lenovo power driver and application

Since this morning, it seems better.

Hope lenovo will release a stable driver.

Thanks

Stephane

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors