cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 561
Message 11 of 23

Re: Want to buy/install more 16GB RAM that goes together with my existing 8 GB RAM

Hi lenovils,

@lenovils wrote:

Thank you all for the great information, very kind of you guys! Just so that I understand you correctly If I want to install 16 gb of RAM in my second slot it would need to have the same speed as my existing in order for my computer to run in dual-channel?

Does there exist RAM with different GB sizes but with the same speeds, probably not?

Dual channel only works with two memory modules of the same size, speed and timing.

@lenovils wrote:

This RAM: SODIMM,16GB, DDR4, 2666,SAMSUNG which I found in the list of compatible parts for my computer (thanks richk and ve2mrx) has a lower speed than my existing RAM which has 2667. This means that the 16 GB RAM will set the pace, right?

Your 8GB RAM might show 2667, but it is 2666MHz like the 16GB you mention. If you where to use one 2400MHz memory, the whole system would run at 2400MHz. This is separate from the dual-channel memory timing I mentioned. There are other parameters involved for dual-channel compatibility, I don't want to over-complexify this discussion with CL, RAS, CAS, and other memory parameters. Look them up in the memory datasheet if you want, but unless you are over-clocking or are a gamer, they are of no interest. Just use memory designated as compatible and you will be fine.

wrote:

But will the 8 GB have any funcion att all togehter with the 16GB

Yes, they will add up. You would get 24GB, in single-channel mode.

And richk is right, the benefit of dual-channel is limited for most workloads (maybe huge, intensely active databases served from a RAM cache?). Think of it as a "bonus": get it if you can, but don't count on it to make your system much faster.

Martin

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD
lenovils
Punch Card
Views: 540
Message 12 of 23

Re: Want to buy/install more 16GB RAM that goes together with my existing 8 GB RAM

Thank you very much! For all the valuble information and taking time to give me thorough information.

lenovils
Punch Card
Views: 527
Message 13 of 23

One more thing does it matter what brand it is as long at it is in my partslookup that can go togehter with my samsung stick?

ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 524
Message 14 of 23

Hi lenovils,

It does not have to be provided by Lenovo, but it MUST be identified as compatible by it's manufacturer. It can be Crucial, Kingston, Samsung, etc.

The memory listed in partslookup is confirmed as compatible by Lenovo. Lenovo cannot test all brands of memory, and will help you only with the memory they sell for your system. But many more brands are compatible, however it's the responsability of that manufacturer to confirm and garantee it's compatible.

Martin

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 510
Message 15 of 23

Most brands work.  Everybody has their favorites.  I like Corsair Vengeance, but all that means is that in my limited experience, I never had a compatibility problem or have a stick fail. Others would disagree.  Avoid products that have the word "Value" in the name.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lenovils
Punch Card
Views: 470
Message 16 of 23

Ok I've bought my samsung 16 GB stick and got it yesterday . is there anything I need to think about before I insert it. Does it matter which slot i insert it in, should I diactivate the internal battery etc?

Thanks

ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 466
Message 17 of 23

Just follow the procedure as described in the Hardware Maintenance Manual. Every step  should be followed as described and you will be fine.

Martin 

lenovils
Punch Card
Views: 436
Message 18 of 23

Thanks for the answer I've followe all the steps but I can't remove the lid on the backside. One of the screw makes this click sound when I try to unscrew it. It wont loosen as the other srews do.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 428
Message 19 of 23

Is the screw turning or is the screwdriver slipping?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lenovils
Punch Card
Views: 424
Message 20 of 23

The screw is turning but is just moving around in the same place. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors