Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ilyin
Paper Tape
Views: 144
Message 1 of 4

Warranty repair

Hello,

I've requested a warranty service and received a FRU (memory) that is likely to solve my problem.

Should I replace it myself or wait for a technician?

Wouldn't self-service impact the warranty status (that's the first time I deal with warrany in US, so I want to double-check)?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 133
Message 2 of 4

Re: Warranty repair

What kind of part?  Do you have on-site warranty?  Did you request on-site service?  What kind of machine?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ilyin
Paper Tape
Views: 124
Message 3 of 4

Machine type:    20HH

Model:                 CTO1WW

(P)FRU P/N:        01FR313

Warranty:            5Y On-site, 9X5 + ADP

I've requested the support by filing a ticket to managedtechnicalsupportaccess.com

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 98
Message 4 of 4

I was sure this was going to be a simple answer, but it isn't as simple as I thought.  Your machine (type P51) has memory under the keyboard and also memory under the rear cover.  There are a total of 4 slots and I don't know how many on your configured-to-order machine are populated.  Some parts are designated customer-replaceable and I would think the memory under the rear cover might be considered to be like that.  In general, replacing memory will not void your warranty, but damage you inflict would not be covered.  You can see what steps are involved in the service manual:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/p51_hmm_en_sp40k88791_01.pdf

I really don't know what was intended, but if you are not comfortable, I suggest calling support.  If U.S. it is 1-800-426-7378

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors