Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

53 Posts

12-21-2016

United States of America

67 Signins

551 Page Views

• Views: 551
  • Message 1 of 9

What Do You Do When a Lenovo Driver Update is Corrupted?

2018-01-27, 18:30 PM

I currently have this problem in regard to the Bluetooth in my Lenovo P70.  There is already a forum topic on this issue at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/foruams/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tp07_en/page/1/thread-id/71644.  If you want to respond to that particular problem (It is still unresolved) please do so there.  The pupose of this topic is the more general question of what do you do when a Lenovo-supplied driver update is faulty, especially when you are out of warranty.  (That question has not been answered in the other topic.)

Bluetooth was not working on my computer when I went to use it.  The obvious thing to do was to get the latest driver, which I did.  It is n1dww15w.exe.  The driver did not work right in at least 2 ways.

1. It left the Bluetooth items in Device Manager grayed out and marked as:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

2. In the downloaded instructions it said there would be an item Intel(R) PROset/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology under Programs & Features.  (This is now called App & Features and is where you uninstall and repair installed programs.)  There was not.

This is what I call corrupted.

In attempting to resolve this problem other than by installing the OEM drivers, I have installed other drivers from Intel and also from Broadcom (for a USB Bluetooth adapter I bought to replace the built-in Intel one).  They all have an installer that puts an item in Apps & Features and the Bluetooth devices in Device Manager are not grayed out and are marked as:

This device is working properly.

Unfortunately Bluetooth appears to work and will discover new devices (meaning the antennas and communication must be working) with both adapters but it fails to pair with anything I have tried.  For more details, see the other topic.  (And if you have a solution please respond there.)

I would like to install the Lenovo OEM driver update.  The only solutiuon I have not been able to explore is the case where Lenovo has made some change involving the Bluetooth adapter.  To do that I need to get one that is not corrupt, hence the reason for this post.  I do not know how to make that happen.

Options

11867 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40172 Signins

422754 Page Views

• Views: 422754
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: What Do You Do When a Lenovo Driver Update is Corrupted?

2018-01-27, 20:38 PM

I have a P70 and I'm using that driver without issue.  Can you indicate what operating system you are using and what wireless card you have?  What version off the wireless driver are you using?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

53 Posts

12-21-2016

United States of America

67 Signins

551 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2018-01-27, 20:52 PM

Windows 10 Home 64-bit.  The adapter is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260.  This also handles WiFi, but the adapters are separate pieces of hardware if you open the back.  The version for n1dww15w.exe is 19.71.0.2.  Intel has a later driver for 20.10.0.9.

Do you have an item in Apps & Features for Intel(R) PROset/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology?

Thanks.

Options

11867 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40172 Signins

422754 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2018-01-28, 16:55 PM

"but the adapters are separate pieces of hardware if you open the back"???

Where do you think the separate bluetooth adapter is?

I don't have PROset/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Options

53 Posts

12-21-2016

United States of America

67 Signins

551 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2018-01-28, 18:08 PM

I know where it is.  You have to remove the back to get to the adapter. There should be directions in your hardware manual. I don't think it is relevant and shouldn't have mentioned it.  I was considering replacing it at one time. I got the other adapter instead.

Back to the driver, which is the subject of this topic, if you download the instructions for the driver update, it definitely says there will be such an item. In addition, all other driver installers I have used do create such an installer item. It is an indication all is not right with the driver update.  If the update worked correctly, I would ignore it, but it doesn't.

I, naturally, would like to have an update that does work correctly and doesn't have these additional questionable issues.

I didn't mention: I also have the newest BIOS 2.21, which may be a factor with the driver update.

Options

11867 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40172 Signins

422754 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2018-01-28, 21:49 PM

There is no separate bluetooth adapter in a P70.  

Rich

Options

53 Posts

12-21-2016

United States of America

67 Signins

551 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2018-01-29, 0:59 AM

The LAN and WAN cards can be taken out individually.  Even though it's one adapter, the parts are pretty independent.  I learned this from Intel. If I were to replace it, I would only have to replace the LAN card.  WiFi works fine, as does the rest of the hardware.  

However, the reason I would like to get a working driver update is that there may be some connection, and there may be something Lenovo as an OEM has done that affects things.

Options

11867 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40172 Signins

422754 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2018-01-29, 1:24 AM

There is always a WiFi and bluetooth combo card.  Some have a WWAN (cellular modem) card also.  The wired LAN (Ethernet) is built into the motherboard.  

Rich

Options

53 Posts

12-21-2016

United States of America

67 Signins

551 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2018-01-29, 2:52 AM

I'm not a hardware person. There are two boards that can be removed. I did take the one out and switch the antenna leads (didn't help or hurt). That's all I know.  I don't see it as being relevant.  The hardware, in particular the antennas, appears to work: It can discover and can even read LE data from Characteristics. It fails to pair, sayng Encryption failed. This happens with both the Intel adapter (with Intel drivers) or the USB adapter with Broadcom drivers.

The driver update may not fix it, but is the only idea I have left.  There ARE issues with the Lenovo driver update.  It did not work right the times I tried it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms