cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCW2
Token Ring
Views: 568
Message 1 of 5

What is a Reasonable Tradeoff Between System and Data Space in Windows 7 64bit?

I have a brand new W530 with the 500 GB HD -- 445 GB actual total space in C: ("Windows7_OS"), including about 85 GB of OS, pre-installed applications, and Lenovo bloat-ware).  I plan to create a separate user-data partition by stealing space from the OS partition, call it E:, and to re-direct user Documents, Pictures, etc. directories plus the Outlook PST file there.  Thus C: will be reserved mainly for Windows, Page File, Crash Dump, Restore Points, and new software installation.

Any thoughts about a reasonable division of drive space between these two partitions?  Coming from Windows XP 32bit on a much smaller HD, I have little idea what to expect in terms comfortable space requriements for Windows 7 64bit.  (I realize I can re-size the partitions later, but it seems best to start with realistic allocations...) -- JCW2

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 528
Message 2 of 5

Re: What is a Reasonable Tradeoff Between System and Data Space in Windows 7 64bit?

It is hard to comment without some idea how the machine will be used. Some applications are not very well behaved and install on the c: drive regardless of what you do. Some functions, like the briefcase functions in windows 7 are harder to get off c:, although it can be done. (I got it right the second time I tried) If you share files using briefcase, you end may up with most of your data on c:. I decided I wanted to boot from an SSD, but I needed more data, so I put in a 256GB mSATA drive and moved my boot partition there. I used my entire HD for data. That worked out well for me.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JCW2
Token Ring
Views: 517
Message 3 of 5

Re: What is a Reasonable Tradeoff Between System and Data Space in Windows 7 64bit?

>>It is hard to comment without some idea how the machine will be used... Some functions, like the briefcase functions in windows 7 are harder to get off c:... I decided I wanted to boot from an SSD, but I needed more data, so I put in a 256GB mSATA drive and moved my boot partition there... That worked out well for me.<<

Thanks for your experience.  It sounds as though 256 GB is enough for Windows 7 to operate comfortably, although I'm not sure where you put your other software (at least that which will permit installation elsewhere than CSmiley Happy.  Here's more about my plan in case that helps you give more specific advice:

1) Since most software must be re-installed if the OS is re-installed anyhow, I plan to let all software install on the boot partition and then do occasional image backups of that for disaster recovery.  (I tried using a separate volume to install well-behaved software last time around, but that didn't seem to help much in maintaining the system.)

2) I'm not using "briefcase" (nor am I on a domain network -- just a small peer-to-peer workgroup), so I don't anticipate using a lot of Lenovo business applications that might chew up disk space -- just occasional restore points for the Registry at least.

3) I'll dedicate the new user partition strictly to easily moved data (e.g., the user's Documents, Pictures, etc. folders, Outlook's PST file (which can get big) -- this is the stuff I want to keep off-line backups of -- and files being collected to or to offload onto archival DVDs.  Inside the extended partition that I create for user data I'll create a second smaller logical volume for sharing on the workgroup.  Pretty much everything I download goes into the Documents folder, so on my XP machine I'm finding I have to clean out the user-data volume (currently only 63 GB) fairly often.  That's why I want to make it larger this time around...

Any other comments welcome! -- JCW2

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 498
Message 4 of 5

256GB is more than enough for windows and the applications that prefer running on c: Most of my data is kept in briefcase folders that are automatically duplicated on my desktop. My laptop has "shadow copies" of folders on the desktop. Those folders are marked as available when off line. I keep the shadow copies in a separate partition with nothing else on it. That means when I backup the desktop, it keeps a copy of my laptop data

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
johnv474
802.11n
Views: 433
Message 5 of 5

FWIW my work machine has a 180 gig SSD, which contains Windows, MS Office, work programs, several utilities, and also 85GB of data.  I am not certain of its free space, but I believe it is about 30 GB.  

My personal machine has no user data, just a bare Windows installation, updated, all Lenovo utilities, with one game, a few small utilities, and Acrobat installed.  That partition has 43GB and there is 10GB free.  (Note: I do not use the paging file, System Restore, or Hiberfil.sys for my purposes.  Also, I do not have a Lenovo Recovery partition and do not have MS Office installed.)

Those may give a sense of what kind of space is required for W7 64-bit.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals