Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
practical
802.11n
Views: 1,421
Message 11 of 17

Re: What storage case for the P70

Thank you for this information.

Your point is well-taken:  when planning for and introducing any new product (especially a very high-end laptop), attention must be paid to the entire ecosystem required for optimal user experience.  Not providing cases (or at least identifying or making available acceptable third-party options) is a travesty.

Let me be clear -- I am very pleased with my P70 purchase and satisfied by encounters with Lenovo personnel, this go-around, despite regular exasperations  and occasional challenges.  It has taken about 5 years for Lenovo to address many of the failings of its earlier workstation-class laptops and has generally done a good job with it. 

As other threads on this board have also demonstrated, it is also clear that Lenovo's product management needs a bit more sophistication and understanding of their high-end customers' needs.   MBA degrees alone and the engaging of technology dillitantes from the entertainment industry do not constitute adequate qualifications for this role.  So many very obvious, anticipatible and easily remedied irritants have surfaced since the introduction of the P-series that it is does beg the question: is anyone at Lenovo really cognizant or concerned about customer satisfaction?  Or is it simply assumed that we will all gratefully pay large dollars and accept whatever lack of consideration that the Company dishes-out? 

Many problems could have been addressed simply by providing better designed, more informative product description and ordering web pages; others by not taking the low-road and forcing users to painstakingly discover ways to accomplish tasks (which should be either self-evident or guided by informative instructions) and further not require locating and ordering obscure parts while incurring additional costs and delays before becoming operational. 

All quality products require attention to details of use and user preferences, notwithstanding manufacturing convenience or the tepid understanding and beliefs of marketing professionals.  Great products sell themselves.  Loyalty of customers is key for long-term success of any business; this must be continually earned and never taken for granted.

Let's hope that some real learning and improvement still remains possible at the world's largest PC vendor. 

Views: 1,407
Message 12 of 17

Totally agree! The road to a fully functioning system has taken me 6 months of firmware, software, and hardware upgrades and warranty repairs. However, now that all is working it is the finest system out there. Too bad that my out of box experience was tarnished by the initial issues.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
øø
Paper Tape
Views: 1,361
Message 13 of 17

You are right, it is bad product management / marketing and a missunderstanding of their target group. 

The P70 is a great pice of hardware, but for buisness use you expect more. It's not that far away. Producing a bag is no big deal for a laptop manufacturer. WWAN was oficcially not supported, but installing a modem by my own solved this for me. All other problems i faced so far are software related. It is realy misleading to advertise a notebook as Linux certified and do not make sure that there is fully driver support. As a software developer i do not understand this. If you do not want to contribute to the Linux kernel just open your source code for the community. To be productive i need a perfectly working system. I bought the P70 to use it with multiple screens, but it is totaly buggy and i can not switch to windows. I do not need the lenovo updater or other lenovo software, but i need at least stable drivers. Someone in this forum pointed out, that Lenovo removed the "Linux certified" from the specs and then refused support for it. We are paying business customers - not idiots. If you do not fullfil the needs of your target group someone will do.

practical
802.11n
Views: 1,350
Message 14 of 17

Clearly, many of us are in the same boat. 

Here is another of my unusual (but true) and relevant stories, submitted for your approval (or not )...

Quite a few years ago, I was invited to participate in an in-person focus group, ostensibly for a new, high-end alcoholic beverage.  Of course, the vendor and product specifics were kept anonymous beforehand, to hopefully secure unbiased opinions from the assembled panel of well-screened participants, all of whom were presumptive consumers of this product and representing the particular target market niche.

During the course of this encounter, our group was presented with multiple options under consideration for packaging, marketing message, price point, promotional literature -- all the usual components for any new product introduction -- for our reactions and comments. 

It became clear to me from the distinctive shapes and color of proposed bottle designs, who the manufacturer would be; but that did not inhibit my participation during the very interesting Q & A and ensuring discussions.

After several hours,  the big moment was upon us: finally, a tasting of the product.  The liquer was beautifully and ceremoniously presented in small, clear cordial glasses on a silver tray.  It was absolutely delicious; all of us were delighted, impressed and certain that we would buy the product. 

When it was my turn to add my free-form comments, I noted that the drink could not be more perfect -- except for one small, detail:  the color was completely wrong; it should have been a dark amber.  When poured into clear glassware (as our samples had been), the proffered liquid was precisely the same hue as normal human urine.

Well, this was not expected!  Behind the one-way mirror and ostensibly soundproofing, it was obvious that a serious fight had broken-out among the assembled product marketing executives tasked with observing the focus group.  Chairs were thrown around, obscenity-laced invectives flowed freely and the arguments were  rancourous.  It was clear a major problem had been unearthed.  It was amazing to me that something so obvious went undetected until huge investments had been made and launch date approaching.

The firm's reaction was, quite unbelievably, to kill the otherwise excellent product rather than making this small adjustment.  Apparently, emotions and internal politics overrode good sense.  More than 10 years later, it did finally come to market (with the color adjusted as I had suggested).

The moral of the story:  engage the target audience EARLY and OFTEN.  Don't assume that people within the insular walls of corporate headquarters or sterile environment of development labs have all the answers.

We who are sufficiently interested and motivated to invest that most precious of resources -- our time -- to write, provide feedback and assistance to this online community are likely candidates to help. 

Lenovo, you might consider engaging us in a more meaningful and useful way.

Paper Tape
Views: 1,344
Message 15 of 17

Thanks for sharing your story! This reminds me of the lean startup methodology. The problem with enterprise companies is, that they tend to operate slowly, like an operating system with too many parallel processes. Every decision is time sliced and takes time to go through the complete hierarchy. It may sounds a little bit odd, that it could take years for such small decisions, but thats the reason why small startups can totally disrupt a market. Hopefully it does not take 10 years to get a 17.3'' Lenovo case Smiley LOL

microfishd1
Token Ring
Views: 1,280
Message 16 of 17

Good news all! Smiley Very Happy ...ish. Smiley Indifferent

I contacted Lenovo's chat regarding warranty types, and ended up asking about this lack of an official carrying case.  The (extremely nice) person (in the warranty department of chat) told me that they actually do sell cases for 17" laptops, just not official Lenovo ones. 

The area of the website that sells them is "http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:show-categor..."

Now why they dont include any of these on the customization page is a mystery to me, unless they aren't "Lenovo" brand products, and thus aren't included.  Maybe R&D doesn't talk to the website design people.  Or at least (it seems that) the website people in charge of the accessories area don't talk to the P-series customization area people.

I also noticed that they don't have a sleeve for a 17" machine.

Ah well, at least Lenovo is smarter than they had appeared, even if they don't have official cases.  Hopefully they will soon.

-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p non-touch, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, No WWAN, No PWM, No Raid.
practical
802.11n
Views: 1,251
Message 17 of 17

Yesterday, I was provided a monster-size Alienware Orion 17X laptop case at work, (inadvertently ordered for a much smaller target device) which seems large enough for the P70.

This is a fairly thin case with shoulder strap and handles which could be a lightweight alternative for daily use.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors