cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sjaanbanaan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,000
Message 1 of 10

What wireless router to go with my W520?

G'day, I have done it, I have ordered and received a W520. I can return it within 8 days if I am not satisfied. So far I can not get wireless to work satisfactory; no connection or incredibly slow connection (makes me think of the old dial in modems of the mid 90s Smiley Very Happy). I have tried it with my Zyxel 660HW61, ADSL2 modem, wired and wireless router, and firewall all in one (which is 802g, so that could cause something).

Could anybody perhaps recommend me the very best wireless router to go with the W520?

Also, on another note: the Zyxel is known for its robust firewall. If possible, I'd like to keep it for that function. Is it at all possible to keep on using the Zyxel for the ADSL modem and the firewall and simply plug a wireless router in one of the 4 ethernet ports - will this work? With work I mean: the Zyxel does routing but when you plug in a wireless router it will understand that it needs to leave the routing for the W520 to the new wireless router, yet it needs to keep on routing for the wired desktops, PLUS will the Zyxel in this setup keep on protecting (by firewall) the wireless signal that is handled by the new wireless router? (I am not too sure about this last thing).

Sorry, I forgot, I have a 6 years old house, multi floor, rather standard normal European built.

Thank you in advance for any help Smiley Very Happy Bye,

Sjaanbanaan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 962
Message 2 of 10

Re: What wireless router to go with my W520?

Nobody can shed a word of advise (peep?)?
Guru
Views: 959
Message 3 of 10

Maybe try running System Update to update all of the drivers?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Sjaanbanaan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 930
Message 4 of 10

Thanks Colonel Smiley Very Happy

I did all of that already the second I received this laptop, using the Thinkvantage update software tool.

Now, my reseller whom I contacted about this suggested I install the original Intel drivers for the wireless card (Ultimate N6300 AGN). The thing is, according to Intel the latest driver for that is 13.5, from april 2011. The driver currently installed by Lenovo however is 14.0.1.2 which is dated 21/12/2010. So the Lenovo driver has a higher version number yet is older.

According to my reseller I shouldn't mind that but always take the Intel drivers since they are far better than the Lenovo driver. Well, if that were the case then why would Lenovo even bother brewing its own driver?

So, is it safe and useful to install the original Intel driver or I should I stay away from these dangerous activities?

Thank you in advance,

Bye,

Guru
Views: 920
Message 5 of 10

I used the wireless drivers from Intel many times in the past since they usually release newer drivers faster than Lenovo. I never experienced any problem because of that so for the wireless driver i would say it's completely safe to use the one from Intel, but I doubt that it will fix your problem. I'm currently using the drivers from Lenovo and have no such issues like you describe.

What the best wireless router would be would be like asking what is the best car Smiley Happy I been using a Cisco (not linksys) wireless AP for some years and it worked great, but now i use the Apple Time Capsule 802.11a/b/g/n and this one also works without any issues at all. The Cisco AP is very expensive and meant for companies and not for use at home. I read that some had problems with the Time Capsule as well, but i think that's mostly with the previous generation of the Time Capsule.

Whatever you choose i would recommend one that support 802.11a and 802.11n.

Do you experience this problem even if the computer is located close to the router with no walls or other things that can block or interfere with the signal between the router and the laptop? My experience with Zyxel are really bad, but those issues where not related to the problem you describe.

-gan

Sjaanbanaan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 915
Message 6 of 10

Thanks Gan Smiley Very Happy

As to the drivers: I decided to live a risky live and try to install the Intel drivers anyway. It doesn't work, since the Intel installer says I am not allowed to downgrade. I then tried to deinstall the Intel Pro Wireless software that came with the TP, but I can't find it anywhere (it is not listed in 'Software' in W7). So, even if I wanted to, I can't even try the wireless drivers from Intel.

As to the Zyxel: the problems remain with the TP only 1 cm from the router (wired is not a problem, though). I have no problem replacing the Zyxel with a new router, but I want quality stuff. To me, that rules out Linksys and the likes. I found a Draytek with I considered to buy, only to learn Draytek currently doesn't have any ADSL-router-modem combis with IPv6. Since I buy for the longer term (I hate buying new stuff every 2 years, I'd rather spend a little more and use it for many more years), I'm not sure if the Draytek is still a wise pick. Even 'though I've read a firmware upgrade would enable *any* router/modem to be capable of IPv6, you never know what these firms are doing maintenance wise once they have been able to grab your hard earned bucks.

To the wireless problem, I am suspecting a faulty card or so. Lenovo support was already gone for the day, I'll call them tomorrow. If it doesn't get fixed I'll return the whole unit and buy a cheap Asus notebook (Woman Surprised).

Thanks again for your reply,

Bye,

Guru
Views: 913
Message 7 of 10

Yeah i guess the installer look at the version and found 14 to be newer than 13.5. which makes sense i guess Smiley Happy

I can find the "Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi software" in the list of installed applications on my computer. Not sure why it's nowhere to be found on your computer. If you open "Computer" you should have a "Uninstall or change a program" option on the toolbar. In that list i found it on my computer. Is that where you tried to find it?

I agree with regards to the quality. That's why i used Cisco for several years. Didn't reboot or touch the thing for almost 3 years and never had any problems, but they probably cost at least 5 times the most expensive Linksys wireless router and it's for wireless only so you would need a separate box for router/firewall. The reason why i decided to replace the Cisco AP is because it's an older model without 802.11n. So i decided to give Apple Time Capsule a try since it's a lot cheaper than Cisco. The Cisco AP also have a lot of advanced features that most people at home would never need.

It could be a faulty wireless adapter in the Thinkpad or maybe something with the connectors to the antenna. Do you have any other wireless networks where you can try the computer? Neighbors, friends, work, school or some public place with a open wireless network? Just to confirm you have the same problem everywhere with the Thinkpad.

If you feel comfortable by removing the keyboard and take a look you could check if the connectors to the antenna are properly connected.

-gan

Sjaanbanaan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 907
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for replying Gan :-)

We're on the same level when it comes to quality. We're a rare breed these days, it seems Man Very Happy

(Most of my friends say 'why do you bother, buy something, and if it doesn't work throw it away and buy something new' - raaaaaaaaah(...), c'mon guys, we have to work for our bucks too).

Anyway, I am totally and utterly confused now: I am wireless on my neighbour's network, he as that Apple time stuff, I have only 2 'stripes' (sorry, English isn't my native language, I hope that you understand what I mean) in the network, and still, youtube clips open immediately, I have around 20 tabs opened that opened immediately.

I hate Apple, I don't want Apple Smiley Mad

But it works.

I'm going to get myself some beer now.

Smiley Very Happy

Guru
Views: 902
Message 9 of 10

I prefer to buy quality right away if i can avoid problems by doing so.

Yes i understand what you mean by 2 stripes. I guess the signal strength are better when you connect to the Zyxel even if it's a lot slower. I think Apple have some nice products even if i'm not crazy enough to sleep in front of the store for two days just to get a new iPhone like some do Smiley Happy I started out with a iPhone and decided to create some iPhone apps so i had to buy a Mac and now i got a Time Capsule. Might sound like a crazy Apple fan, but actually i'm not. I mostly use my Thinkpad.

I forgot to mention, but you could try to change the power settings as well. Set the Wireless to maximum performance and see if that makes a difference. You should find that setting in Access Connection if you edit the profile, select the "wireless settings" tab and click on the settings tab under "4. Advanced configuration". I guess you have to reapply the profile. If you don't use Access Connections go into control panel, search for "power" and click on "Edit power plan" then click on "Change advanced power settings" and you should find "Wireless Adapter Settings". Under this one you can set the power saving option to max performance when plugged in and when running on battery. I guess upgrading the Zyxel firmware if there is a new version could be an idea as well.

Enjoy the beer Smiley Happy

-gan

ibmford
Punch Card
Views: 839
Message 10 of 10

Try turning off your bluetooh adapter, it might interfere with WIFI as they use the same band.

make sure there are no microwave ovens running, as they interfere with signals. Cell phones can interfere with wifi as well. Temporarily try turning the cellphones of to test the router.

Try relocating the router, elevate router higher from the floor and make sure the router is not sitting on a metal table. make sure the router is further away from metal cabinets or metal objects that interfere with antenna.  Try to plug the router to a different power outlet. Test the router with all fluorescent lights off.

Try all the above recommendations, and see if any imrpovements. good luck.

Thinkpad W520, 2720QM, Crucial SSD M4

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors