cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,902
Message 1 of 12

Which RAM configuration on the P53 and P73 leads to the best performance?

Hi, I was told to choose a 16GBx2 RAM configuration for better performance on the X1 Extreme. For the P53 and P73, regardless of the CPU, do they take advantage of dual channel or quad channel?

If I want a total of:

Case1: 32GB

Case2: 64GB

which configuration produces the best performance in each case?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,846
Message 2 of 12

Re: Which RAM configuration on the P53 and P73 leads to the best performance?

The specifications are as follows;

P53

Chipset Memory

• Mobile Intel CM246Chipset
  • 128GB max / 2666MHz DDR4 (ECC function supported only on Xeon processor), dual-channel capable, four DDR4 SO-DIMM sockets

P73

• Chipset Memory
  • Mobile Intel CM246Chipset
  • 128GB max / 2666MHz DDR4 (ECC function supported only on Xeon processor), dual-channel capable, four DDR4 SO-DIMM sockets       * Installed DIMMs are actually 2666MHz but run at 2400MHz due to Intel limitation

So it is best to install at least two SODIMMs to take advantage of Dual Channel, but as far as what amount of RAM you need, well that would be a decision made based upon budget and what you plan on using the system for.     

With 4 RAM slots, you could start with 32GB (2x16GB), and add two more later if needed.. 

Cheers,

bobbie424242
802.11n
Views: 2,825
Message 3 of 12

* Installed DIMMs are actually 2666MHz but run at 2400MHz due to Intel limitation

Probably not true anymore: latest BIOS on P52/P72 allow operation at full 2666 Mhz (requires to reset BIOS setting to defaults).

Lenovo ThinkPad P72 - i7-8850H / 48GB DDR4-2666 / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / 1TB HDD / 17.3" UHD / Intel UHD 630 / Quadro P600 / 99W Battery / Linux distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,815
Message 4 of 12

Anybody has the machine to confirm this?

If I buy 16GBx2 configuration now and want a total of 64GB later, do I need to get ram of the same specs and RAM from Lenovo? Also, they will be from different bine as the stock ones. Is it better to buy the min ram configuration and buy a new set of 32gb or 64gb from 3rd party? How good are Lenovo RAM com-ared with 3rd parties'?

My desktop has 64gb but I don’t know the thermal and noise of the p53/p73 yet to tell if they are silent enough to do computationally intensive simulations. Any suggestion?

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,735
Message 5 of 12

There are two unused RAM slots when the bottom of the P53 is opened. It seems that the other two slots (each with 16GB installed) are on the other side of the motherboard. Is it difficult to access those two hidden slots? It seems that I may need to remove the motherboard. If getting a new P53, I wonder if it is better to get the smallest RAM size and upgrade it myself vs. buying 16GBx2 configurtion from Lenovo and get another 16GBx2 from 3rd party. Concerned about compatibility issue since the RAM are from different manufacturers and probably have slightly different specs. Any suggestion?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,731
Message 6 of 12

"Is it hard" type questions are impossible to answer. What is hard for one person is easy for another.  Here is the manual so you can decide.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/tp_p53_hmm_en.pdf

The motherboard doesn't come out - just the keyboard

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,494
Message 7 of 12

Is it really true that putting two larger capacity RAM modules while leving the other two slots empty in these laptops leads to the same performance as putting smaller capacity RAM modules in all four slots?

Highlighted
ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 2,455
Message 8 of 12

Hi!

You might be interrested in this recent thread. It's for a different machine, but the memory situation is similar.

Want to buy/install more 16GB RAM that goes together with my existing 8 GB RAM

The result will be the same.

Martin

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD
Syncros
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,591
Message 9 of 12

Have you been able to confirm that mixing different manufacturers but using same size and type memory is ok and will preserve Dual Channel function?  

I have a P53 on the way and am also wondering whether i can just use 3rd party RAM for the empty slots and mirror what's in the factory-filled slots, or do i have to use the same manufacturer Lenovo uses?  

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,583
Message 10 of 12

You can get RAM from the same manufacturer if you want, but it is not required just so long as the RAM you buy is compatible with your system as shown below from the Psref.      The size of the new RAM also does not have to match the existing pair, so if shipped with 16GB (2x8GB), you could add 32GB (2x16GB) modules for instance.       

I have have both Hynix (original) and Crucial (Micron) mixed on my system with no issues, and I have found Crucial to be a reliable source with good support.

Per the parts list for the P53, your new system could ship with RAM manufactured by either Samsung, Hynix, Crucial (Micron) or Ramaxel, so any of those brands are a good choice.   

Once you get your new system, a free tool from PassMark called RAMMon will tell you exactly what brand etc. of the RAM that shipped with your system if you are interested.   

P53 Memory Specifications

128GB max / 2666MHz DDR4 (ECC function supported only on Xeon processor), dual-channel capable, four DDR4 SO-DIMM sockets

Cheers,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors