cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonathanbaird
Punch Card
Views: 148
Message 1 of 1

Will a Lenovo ThinkPad W530 run 3 x 2560x1440 External Monitors @ 60Hz with the Docking Station

Hi,

I am currently using the ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 - 170W with 2 x 1920x1080 displays @ 60Hz a display. I am doing so by connecting one of the monitors to the DVI-D output on the docking station and 1 to a USB to HDMI converter (I was having issues with the VGA for some reason). I also use the laptop display as a third screen in the setup. What I am looking to do is purchase 3 x 2560x1440 displays and have the docking station power all 3 of these @ 60Hz. I understand that I can only use 2 display ports to do this so I intent to add a USB32DPPRO to achieve this, however my question is will they all run @ 60Hz.

I have found this link which confirms I can run 2 displays at the resolution I'm after, but it does not mention anything about the refresh rate. https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/migr-76767.  I'm just a little confisued as when you start looking at refresh rates on 4K for example, it says you can only run 1 screen @ 60Hz and if you add another screen the refresh rate drops to 30Hz for both. This is when used with the ThinkPad Workstation Dock 230W. More information here https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/acc100247.

If anybody could help demistify this that would be great! I am using a NVIDIA Quardo K1000M as my GPU and the Inter(R) HD Graphics 4000 for the onbaord graphics. It's probably worth nothing that if I can get all 3 monitors to run @ 60Hz and 2560x1440 I would not need to use the laptop screen as an additional display. If I cannot run all 3 @ 60Hz, what are the implications of running @ 30Hz? I am not gaming or anything, I'm an IT Consultant so I will be using the screens for just general use if more than anything! However it would be nice to be able to watch videos without the screen(s) flickering.

Thank you in advance!

Jonathan.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors