05-28-2018

US

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1 of 9

Will cleaning the fan assembly void my warranty?- P71

2018-05-28, 8:17 AM

I noticed the intake of my laptop fans covered with dust and wanted to clean it up, which includes opening up the machine, detach the fan assembly, repaste, and reinstall everything back. I'm wondering wheteher doing so will void the warranty on my machine.

Options

442 Posts

02-01-2018

LB

684 Signins

7840 Page Views

• Views: 7840
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Will cleaning the fan assembly void my warranty?- P71

2018-05-28, 11:06 AM
detaching the fan assembly will for sure void your warranty, you are disassembling a component ..

but why detaching it and repasting ?
you can blow compressed air and the dust will simply vanish !! no need for all that work you are thinking to do
Options

10381 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39199 Signins

404692 Page Views

• Views: 404692
  • Message 3 of 9

2018-05-28, 17:59 PM

I have never heard of a warranty claim rejected because someone opened a machine, as long as everything is put back together in a professional manner so that the machine looks like it had never been serviced.  That means running wires the way they came from the factory, not breaking little plastic tabs, and replacing any tape with the correct material.  This is not easy for an average user.

I never suggest blowing compressed air into fan grills.  First the dust is blown into the inside of the machine.  Then, one must understand that a motor (like the fan motor) is basically the same as a generator.  If you apply voltage, the fan spins.  If you force the blades to spin, current is generated back into the circuitry of the otherboard in a direction opposite to what is normal.  Circuit diagrams are not available, so I don't know what kinds of diode protection is available.  Compressed air can make the fan spin REALLY fast in either direction.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

442 Posts

02-01-2018

LB

684 Signins

7840 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2018-05-28, 18:14 PM

hello @ 

so are you encouraging us to mess with our laptops and lie about it when Lenovo says that this laptop has been disassembled before ?? ?
because it will be 100% obvious for them !!

and for the compressed air you are right, but I meant blowing the air after removing the cover (as I do always with my laptop) and not through air vents .. and for the fans being generators !! I can say only O.M.G !! I'm doing this since ages !! am I being lucky not ruining my systems by that voltage ?

Options

1757 Posts

07-22-2010

US

9629 Signins

159612 Page Views

• Views: 159612
  • Message 5 of 9

2018-05-28, 21:49 PM

Hyang,

If you are interested in replacing paste and cleaning out fan because laptop is overheating and its still under warranty.  I think its easiest just to call Lenovo support and have them replace fan/paste or whatever they feel is necessary for the overheat.  With that being said I have taken off the keyboard of my W510 and while holding down the fan with my finger I have blown compressed air  through the fan to get rid of dust.  

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Options

10381 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39199 Signins

404692 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2018-05-29, 5:24 AM

I am not suggesting anyone lie about anything. I said it is not easy for the average user.   I have repaired MANY machines.  I have the same sorts of tools and tapes and screws that Lenovo has and it is NOT obvious anyone has opened anything.  If I have tried anything, I tell exactly what I did.  They are not trying to screw you on the warranty, but if you damage something it is not their problem.  If you repair something in a non-professional manner, it is reasonable to wonder if the repair caused the problem.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Options

442 Posts

02-01-2018

LB

684 Signins

7840 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2018-05-30, 13:46 PM

hello @

sorry If my reply was rude (yes it was unfortunately !) but I was shocked about what you said, if the user was not experienced enough, disassembling the fan assembly may result to huge damage to CPU or GPU, especially if he reassembled it wrongfully , and because I was sure that disassembling any component will for sure void any warranty from any other company, but never knew that it doesn't void it with Lenovo laptops !

so please accept my apology If the reply seemed disrespectful to you ..

and please if you can provide to us more info about warranty and what may void it and what not, that will be very helpful

thanks in advance and best regards

Options

10381 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39199 Signins

404692 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2018-05-30, 15:08 PM

I didn't think it was rude and I wasn't offended.  I am a customer just like you, so I cannot speak for Lenovo.  Maybe I'm crazy (and my wife would vote "yes") , but I take all kinds of things apart, not just laptops.  I don't mean that I take everything apart as soon as I buy it, but if something breaks, I try to see what's wrong.  If I am working on something that is under warranty, I am VERY careful and if I get to a step where my next move will preclude getting it back to a state that is exactly as it started, I stop.  I have never had a warranty claim rejected from any manufacturer because I opened it.  I have never believed that companies go out of their way to reject warranty claims, as long as the problem is not user-caused.

Rich

Options

442 Posts

02-01-2018

LB

684 Signins

7840 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2018-05-30, 15:50 PM
hahahahahahahaha !! I'm laughing because I'm crazy myself and the whole family and relatives will for sure vote yes ! I take everything apart ! I was the kid that puts the huge CRT Tv on his bed to take it apart to see how it works ! so I guess we are on the same side .. I studied industrial mechanics, and Maintenance is my hobby, I repair cellphones and laptops (for my friends and family for free), I'm a full time professional photographer so I repair DSLRs as well, they have a small mechanism that is very precise yet very fragile and vulnerable ! I'm not speaking about myself, but I'm saying that even If I know how to repair my own computer, I don't do it if I care about my warranty, because sometimes you really need that warranty !
Despite this, I don't suggest anyone disassembling his own computer, you know for sure that there are people who ruin their electronics from the moment they touch them with a screwdriver !
anyway, I guess the OP can disassemble it by himself because he is worrying about his warranty more than his laptop, so I guess he is experienced enough to do it .. thank you
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save