Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

148 Posts

02-04-2010

Rockdale, Texas

300 Signins

4310 Page Views

• Views: 4310
  • Message 1 of 6

Windows updates - Downloading and Installing when computer erroneously thinks Windows invalid

2013-02-22, 19:00 PM

Does anyone know how to download and install windows Updates without using the windows update program?

I know how to solve the Windows Update not working problem but I want the configuration that doesn't allow it to work to be my normal configuration so i'd like to be able tomupdate without having to do extra steps reinstalling a program.

thanks.

Geophyte1
W700ds 2757-CTO
Options

1302 Posts

12-06-2012

Raleigh, NC

545 Signins

33643 Page Views

• Views: 33643
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Windows updates - Downloading and Installing when computer erroneously thinks Windows invalid

2013-02-24, 23:05 PM

Hi, Geophyte1

Could you please clarify what you are exactly asking? I understand that you are trying to install your Windows updates through means other than the Windows Update program, but I am unclear on why. Is there a particular update/program that is giving you trouble? And what is the trouble, exactly?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution!" This will help the rest of the community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Options

6486 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28953 Signins

1658478 Page Views

• Views: 1658478
  • Message 3 of 6

Re: Windows updates - Downloading and Installing when computer erroneously thinks Windows invalid

2013-02-25, 2:24 AM

@Geophyte1...

To add to Adam's queries:

What version of Windows, and is it a Lenovo OEM or retail install?

By "computer erroneously thinks Windows invalid", are you saying that your install is failing the Windows Genuine Advantage check?

Regards.

Edit: clarification and spelling.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

581 Posts

07-09-2009

USA

3065 Signins

12669 Page Views

• Views: 12669
  • Message 4 of 6

2013-02-25, 18:24 PM

Windows Genuine Advantage is a tool designed to prevent the pirating of Microsoft products. When you launch the Windows operating system, the Windows Genuine Advantage tool runs a test to determine if the operating system is "genuine." If the tool determines that the operating system is not genuine, it launches a notification telling you how to obtain a genuine copy. Unfortunately, some users have experienced false positives. If this is the case with you, you will want to stop the notifications.

Read more: How to Stop Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications in Windows 7 | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8361402_stop-advantage-notifications-windows-7.html#ixzz2Lw8EepUx

Options

148 Posts

02-04-2010

Rockdale, Texas

300 Signins

4310 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2013-02-26, 18:20 PM

I'll try to not get too lengthy.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro (SP1 is installed after initial install) and the install is from Lenovo recovery disks from Lenovo for the W700ds.

I believe the root of the problem lies somewhere in the relationship between my 750 gig 4k sector hard drives and the Intel Matrix Manager.  I installed the 4k sector harddrives late last year and don't remember if I had a working Windows Update thereafter but the first indication I had that there was a problem was one morning I booted up the machine and got a "Windows is not Genuine" message and later that day I realized Windows Update would not work.  After researching the Windows Update problem for about two days I decided to do a complete fresh install thinking that was a cure-all but the Lenovo recovery disks would not complete a rebuild.

Since that time I have had a new mainboard and a new processor ( under warranty) and completely rebuilt the computer from scratch with the same recovery disks.

I do not see the "Windows is not genuine" messages any more but what I now know from going back and forth is that when I have the Intel Matrix Manager driver that is provided on the Lenovo site installed, Windows Update will not work.  When I replace the Matrix Manager driver with a newer Intel RST driver Windows Update does work but Turbo memory no longer works and the computer is slower.  That is why I'd like to keep the older Matrix Manager driver installed and find a way to get Windows Update to work with it.

FYI - This part may be completely normal but when I go to My computer - Properties the Windows Activation area for about 0.2 seconds shows not activated but then populates with Windows is activated and shows the OEM product ID.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Geophyte1
W700ds 2757-CTO
Options

148 Posts

02-04-2010

Rockdale, Texas

300 Signins

4310 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2013-03-06, 15:50 PM

An Update.

Yesterday I decided to reinstall the intel RST driver so that I could update windows and when I used that version I had used previously it was causing problems so I downloaded and installed the latest driver for RST from Intel and installed it and somehow this time the Turbo Memory was not messed up by installing the recent Intel RST driver.  The computer is faster than it was before but still not as fast as when using Matrix Manager.  Maybe this will come around we'll see.

There is a new (old) problem.  I saw this when I first rebuilt the machine and downloaded and installed Intel RST using  Lenovo System Update before I realized it did not have the correct Serial number or machine type on the new motherboard and I'm seeing it again with the latest install of the most recent version of RST.  When I run Thinkvantage a message pops up twice that says "Device Discovery Error - Your system was busy performing other tasks when attempting to collect information.  If there is an error restart the application.  If the error persists, restart the system."  Restarting doesn't change anything.  As far as I can tell I still have access to all of the tools Thinkvantage offers and the only time I see this message is when starting Thinkvantage.  This has happened only when running the latest version of Intel RST but that is also the only version of RST that now, apparently, is allowing Turbo Memory to operate properly.

Geophyte1
W700ds 2757-CTO
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms