cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmckenzi
What's DOS?
Views: 1,022
Message 1 of 3

Wireless fails to fully connect on startup, but works fine when I launch Access Connections

Have a brand new W500 and it's working quite well, but there seems to be a problem with establishing a wireless connection on startup.  It tries for a really long time - literally 4 or 5 minutes before telling me it could only get a partial connection.  I then start up Access Connections and tell it to connect and it connects with no difficulty.  Of course, in the meantime, lots of other applications have started up that wanted internet connections and have failed because of the initial connection issue.  It's also annoying to have a really fast startup, but then to have to sit and wait several minutes to start e-mail.

I've got the most current drivers, Access Connections, windows updates, etc.  I'm running XP.  Obviously the network connection is fine because I can connect with no problem when Access Connections launches.

I've tried stripping out all of the startup commands from startup and the HKLM and HKCU registry entries with the exception of Access Connections.  However, it still sits there and waits for 4 or 5 minutes before Access Connections comes up.

Is there some sort of log I can look at to see what's failing with the initial connection and why?  Any other ideas what might be happening?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 988
Message 2 of 3

Re: Wireless fails to fully connect on startup, but works fine when I launch Access Connections

Try to remove the Wireless Lan card and reboot your machine. Then check for the latest drivers. Just a thought.
lmckenzi
What's DOS?
Views: 985
Message 3 of 3

Re: Wireless fails to fully connect on startup, but works fine when I launch Access Connections

I've already checked the drivers.    According to SystemUpdate I'm current on everything (with the exception of Rescue & Recovery which conflicted with my VPN Client).  Have checked using DriverAgent as well and it thinks all of my drivers are up-to-date.

The LAN card is internal, and I'm reluctant to pop the cover without a theory on how removing it and putting it back would make a difference.  Wireless works well after the initial 4-5 minute pause.  Are you thinking it's a bad connection or something? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors