Views: 339
Message 1 of 4

Worth updating a W530?

I have a Lenovo W530 that runs pretty well.  The specs are:

Intel i7-3820QM CPU
180 GB Intel SSD
1 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive in bay
32 GB RAM

ALl runs well but I am wondering if I would really see that much gain if upgrading to a P50 or P51?  The Xeon processors do not seem that much faster.  Would I be better to maybe get a new SSD drive?

I primarily use my laptop for web design and development.  I use Adobe Photoshop as probably my biggest memory program.  With 32 GB of Ram I dont have many issues, but would the speed be that much better with an updated system?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 310
Message 2 of 4

Re: Worth updating a W530?

With photoshop, it really depends on what you are doing.  If I use photoshop, my picture files aren't that big and I am not doing anything very sophisticated.  Your system would be fine.  If you are working on huge RAW files and doing complicated color manipulation with lots of stacked changes, the T50/P51's option of 4X16GB would be appealing.  As far as program development, when I was doing that, my rule was that as soon as a build took much longer than a minute, I would upgrade.  I found that after a minute, my mind would wander and go get a cup of coffee.  A 2-minute build would cost half an hour before I got back

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
bgarrant
Fanfold Paper
Views: 306
Message 3 of 4

Thanks. Most of what I use PS for us web mockups so very little use. All seems to run quite snappy so I may try to push this 2012 laptop one more season. Thanks again. 

bgarrant
Fanfold Paper
Views: 305
Message 4 of 4

I also worry about the whole SSD drive reaching its limit or writes. Is it preferred to leave a mobile workstation on at night or off? Does it help save SSD usage? I was also thinking about getting a new SSD drive for my W530. Any suggestions? 

What is best way to move the system OS to a new drive when no installation disk exists? I have Acronis True Image if that would help. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors