Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bostjanv
802.11n
Views: 289
Message 1 of 11

Yet more BSODs

Hello,

I've written several times about BSODs I am experiencing on a Lenovo P71 (e.g. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/help-needed-for-crashes-on-P71-running-W...); but, I have not been able to come to the bottom of this problem. I use a program WhoCrashed to analyse my dumps; but it doesn't give any useful advice except that the BSODs are probably not hardware related. However, I'm a bit sceptical since I also have a Lenovo W530 which experiences no such problems in spite of it having practically the same software.

The following are dumps and other information on two BSODs that occurred on one day

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yz8weweb6ef5xim/AABByrU5lJbaZ4CNxxmrX9Gca?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h9n6j4qao5qjbsq/AADv97qJNp9g4xV5llkUt9bsa?dl=0

I hope somebody can help me with this problem.

Regards,

BostjanVi

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 252
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yet more BSODs

Having the same software on a machine that is 5 years older wirh different video does not imply that the software isn't involved.  How much memory is on both machines? Some programs, especially older ones, use different logic paths with over 8GB of memory.   Is either using discrete video either forced through the BIOS or other settings?  Is the same program running for all the crashes?  I could see little that was helpful in the attached files, so I am not surprised that nobody has been able to help.  

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
bostjanv
802.11n
Views: 204
Message 3 of 11

Hello,

Thanks for your reply (I'm responding late due to absence). Regarding your questions, my impression was that all details regarding my configuration are contained in the file msinfo.txt  located in the folder corresponding to the first link in my original post. If not could  you, please, instruct me how to get the information you need.

Regards,

bostjanv

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 174
Message 4 of 11

The msconfig file seems to show that the machine is currently using the nVIDIA graphics.  I was trying to determine why.  Is it set as the default in the BIOS?  (Under config\Display, choices are Hybrid or Discrete.  Hybrid is the default, which allows the use of whichever type is suitable for whatever is running or Discrete, which forces nVIDIA.  If you force Discrete, try Hybrid.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

bostjanv
802.11n
Views: 155
Message 5 of 11

BIOS is set to hybrid graphics. Should I change?

Regards,

bostjanv

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 147
Message 6 of 11

No.   That is best.  Are you running anything in particular when thr BSODs happen?

Rich

bostjanv
802.11n
Views: 128
Message 7 of 11

Hello,

Regarding "anything special ...", no, the only thing that I have constantly open is a copy of emacs (I am using an MSYS2 version of emacs). But the funny thing is that these BSODs seemingly occur during or in conjunction with sleep/hibernation because I usually become aware of them when I try to return from hibernation and discover that opening my laptop cover does not start the boot process, and I must press the power button.

Regards,

bostjanv

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 116
Message 8 of 11

Look in the event log at the time of the BSOD and the time you close the lid.  There may be a device or piece of software that throws an error message about being unable to process the sleep command, or something similar.

Rich

bostjanv
802.11n
Views: 100
Message 9 of 11

Hello,
I looked at the event logs corresponding to the BSODs in my original post and noticed,
(1) the BSOD corresponding to the second link does not indicate a system failure; rather its origin
lies in the fact that the system was unresponsive, and I had to press the power button to start
booting;
(2) therefore the interesting BSOD corresponds to the first link in my original post. So I examined
the events around the time it happened, and I selected some interesing events and added them
to the folder corresponding to the first link. I summarize the observations:
* the event corresponding to Capture4.PNG occurred at around 11AM; however this event (according
   to my internet research) is not critical;
* the following event Capture3.PNG (no intervening events) occurs at 12:00:00; it is simply a
   recording of the system uptime. I am not sure whether the fact that there are no intervening
   events indicates hibernation;
* the next event Capture2.PNG (again, no intervening events), occurring 13 minutes later,
   records "operating system start". Not clear whether this indicates return from hibernation
   or start of boot sequence;
* following this is a large number of events apparently connected to the boot procedure;
* booting ends with event corresponding to Capture1.PNG

SUMMARY: could not find any obvious source of BSOD

If you have any other ideas how to proceed please mention them.
Regards,
bostjanv

bostjanv
802.11n
Views: 71
Message 10 of 11

Hello,

In view of my previous post I deleted the second link of my original post; however, I had a new BSOD, the information on which are here,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i9uqme4jx989q0h/AAD-Ri4_Iidj6eFrwzCrqjZxa?dl=0

The interesting thing about the newest BSOD is the message in Capture2.PNG ("the following boot-start or system-start driver(s) did not load: dam"). Investigating this message on the internet led me to the link "Win 8 crashes while trying to sleep ...". I didn't quite understand it; but might it not be linked to my problem?

Regards,

bostjanv

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors