Did you mean: 
kireta
Punch Card
Views: 452
Message 1 of 9

adding RAM to p53s

Interesting problem- upgrading RAM on P53s 

• Bought system with 8 GB RAM, thinking I could add RAM myself

• Bought a 16 GB stick for $80 from Crucial: CT15190686 Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM  which is "guaranteed" to be compatible by Crucial.

• Installed stick, and system will not boot. Take out stick and boots fine

• The Lenovo 16 GB stick is $299.00 (ThinkPad 16GB DDR4 2666MHz SoDIMM Memory), which is almost 3X the cost of the Crucial RAM.

• Lenovo support says:

There’s no reason specific to the P53s that would render it incompatible with a Crucial/Micron DIMM.  Slight timing differences might be the issue.  A DIMM can run at a lower frequency without a problem; when different speed DIMMs are installed in a system, the DIMMs will run at the lowest common speed.  Unfortunately, due to the number of memory vendors and DIMM models, we can only provide support for Lenovo branded memory which has been tested and qualified for our systems.

• Has anyone else had such problems with Crucial RAM that does not work in Lenovo system? Any suggestions?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 448
Message 2 of 9

Re: adding RAM to p53s

Give it plenty of time to boot with the new RAM installed.  Minutes.  RAM changes, and especially large upgrades, will cause BIOS to take some time probing and configuring.  That takes a while.  After that it will boot with normal timing.

Not saying that's the problem, but it may be.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

average_user
Punch Card
Views: 431
Message 3 of 9

i added another 16 GB to the 16 GB that came with my P53. i tried to match the manufacturer and model as best as i could (the exact Samsung model doesn't seem to be available on retail), and installed it under the keyboard. it took some time for the first boot, but then it started working in dual channel mode (what i was aiming for). i really wish the laptop would show the RAM count on the screen so that we could see that the system is indeed doing something. that was a thing back when memory was measured in MB.

kireta
Punch Card
Views: 428
Message 4 of 9

Hi, certainly a good suggestion!

I waited 5 minutes...no boot. 

I will try again and wait 30 minutes, nothing to lose....

kireta
Punch Card
Views: 414
Message 5 of 9

Waited 1 hour, still will not boot.

I may buy Lenovo RAM and see if that fixes the issue.

average_user
Punch Card
Views: 394
Message 6 of 9

did you try using a different slot (if available)?

you can try downloading CPU-z and checking the manufacturer and model number of what is already installed (if i remember correctly the *s models have soldered memory installed at the factory), and see if you can get something close to that. i paid about $70 for my 16 GB upgrade.

kireta
Punch Card
Views: 319
Message 7 of 9

So, I bought RAM from Lenovo, installed, and works fine. 

Lessons learned:

• Getting the base cover off is a pain in the butt. A pry tool is absolutely necessary. They REALLY should make it easier to get the base cover off!

• After-market RAM does not always work, even if from a reputable manufacturer like Crucial. Will not be an issue eventually, but in a newer model like this one, it looks like this is a potential problem.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 314
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for reporting back.  It's a bit of a surprise; Crucial is my go to RAM vendor.  And I tend to agree about the base cover on newer ThinkPads.  It's way too easy to break the little plastic "hooks".  Don't ask me how I know...

Please consider marking your last post as the solution.  It will help others find their way here.

regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

GatsbyGlen
Token Ring
Views: 311
Message 9 of 9

I'm going to add more RAM to my P53 as well. I'll stick with the same kind that came with the laptop, Samsung M471A4G43MB1.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2666MHz-Memory-Computers-M471A4G43MB1/dp/B07N124XDS/ref=sr_1_1?keywor...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors