cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmm108
Punch Card
Views: 1,158
Message 1 of 9

anyone have a decent W540 IPS display profile?

I just received a W540 with the hi-res IPS display.  I didn't order the X-Rite builtin calibator because  I have an xrite i1 pro calibrator and their software and I can calibrate it myself, and I hadn't heard very good things about the builtin's results.  However the results I am getting are really horrendous.  It's not the calibration device, because I use that with Spectraview and my NEC PA271 with fine results.  There are color shifts throughout the greyscalewhen I run x-rute's iProflier software on the W540 display.  If anyone could post or send me a decent profile for this display it would be much appreciated.

dmm

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 1,126
Message 2 of 9

Re: anyone have a decent W540 IPS display profile?

This is a laptop! Not a calibrated monitor with carefully chosen and matched LED's.  I would not use the screen for proofing.  Calibration is there just to make the screen liveable and viewable.  I think you will discover that the readings are all over the place, depending where you place the measuring 'spot' on the screen.  Furthermore, you need to take into consideration heat and how long the screen has been on.

Calibrate yes, for visual good look, NOT for color reproduction accuracy.

Highlighted
dmm108
Punch Card
Views: 1,112
Message 3 of 9

Thanks, Bauden.  I don't disagree with any of  that.   Just wanted to see if anyone had anything better than I've been able to produce.   

ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,103
Message 4 of 9

dmm108
Punch Card
Views: 1,094
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for that.  I should post my latest one as an alternative, as it has a different white point, and about the same gradation, in case it's useful to anyone.

http://luminess.org/public/W540-7-25-14.icm

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 1,050
Message 6 of 9

Good grief..... I did a quick check for the icm location, and I never realized how many were on this system.

I have 387 icm files.  With the file slack, that that takes up significant space.

Not counting all the Lenovo bloatware language files.  Mettinks they should include a utility to delete all these useless files as part of their excellent Thinkvantage Tools.

Any hint on the official location of the icm file?

>>  c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\  <<  ??

I find the last most  [Right-Function key], the one with the cute little folder pictogram and the [Fn-F12] key so useful. What a great idea to help locate files quickly.

Proud owner of a Lenovo W540 20BG 0016US    

dmm108
Punch Card
Views: 1,038
Message 7 of 9

@>Bauden wrote:

>Good grief..... I did a quick check for the icm location, and I never realized how many were on this system.

>I have 387 icm files.  With the file slack, that that takes up significant space.

Interesting, I never bothered looking before.  I have 421, including 131 in the winsxs folder just hanging around

(I'm sure that you know that .icm and icc files are interchangeable, so you need to count both types)

>Not counting all the Lenovo bloatware language files.  Mettinks they should include a utility to delete all these >useless files as part of their excellent Thinkvantage Tools.

>Any hint on the official location of the icm file?

>>  c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\  <<  ??

Yes.  This is the standard directory for color management profiles.  Other applications keep their own, like X-RITE on my computer, and Adobe.

>I find the last most  [Right-Function key], the one with the cute little folder pictogram and the [Fn-F12] key so >useful. What a great idea to help locate files quickly.

Can you enlighten me on this?  Both keys do the same thing on my computer, just open a new explorer window. Not sure why I need both.  Can't figure out what the [FN-F11] key does at all.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 1,030
Message 8 of 9

The icm file written by the sensor is called:

<Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 2880x1620_D65_27072014_211142.icm>

the <... D65_27072014_211142 ...> changes for the date and time and the gamma selected with each profiling.  I have quite a few, note erased by the calibrating program..... more file bloatware build up.  Oddly, my EyeOne calibration file gets deleted/replaced by the new file.  I guess Lenovo allows you to go back to an early calibration if you are not happy with the new reading. This is great, you can go back a year, and see the changes.  Indeed, I also have oodles of icc files, 71 in all.  In all fairness, this is part of Photoshop.

The [Fn-F11] is a very powerful key to switch between working background tasks.  Maybe akin to [Alt-Tab].  Really useful keys on a Workstation of the W540 calibre. In case you forget the legacy [Alt-Tab], you can use the modern [Fn-F11].

Still trying to figure out how to reprogram the Fn-Key to my oddball likings. I really love the little Fn-Key reminders on my screen. Much better than idiot lights on the key board.

'Thinkpad Hotkey Feature Integration Package' make my W540 really unique and powerful.

Now, if I could tell Hotkey to assign that cute folder icon key to launch Total Commander..... Ummm.

dmm108
Punch Card
Views: 1,013
Message 9 of 9

I always rename the X-rite profiles before I save them, I've never had any of them been deleted.  How do your builtin sensor profiles compare to the X-Rite profiles using the i1, and what software and hardware are you using for that?  I'd be interested in trying some profiles that came from the builtin sensor.

I am familiar with and appreciate the alt-tab functionality, and I do not have this functionality with the FN-F11 key - nothing happens.  At least it's nice to know what it should be doing.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors