cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leopoldus
SCSI Port
Views: 10,324
Message 1 of 7

automatically optimize for battery lifespan charges the batt to 100% in Power Manager settings

In my ThinkPad W530 Power Manager settings I have choosen the option "Automatically optimize for battery lifespan" (Battery -> Battery Maintenance -> Charge Mode). Nevertheless it always charges and keeps the battery charge at 100%. Is it normal for 9-Cell extended battery?

Link to picture

But many articles and discussions here at the forum state, that actually charging to 100% is not good tor battery life (see for example this article http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs-Knowledge-Base/How-can-I-increase-battery-life-ThinkPad/ta-... ). Do I miss anything?

Thanks!

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Djembe
802.11n
Views: 10,290
Message 2 of 7

Re: automatically optimize for battery lifespan charges the batt to 100% in Power Manager settings

Yes, you missed something. When you select "maximize battery lifespan," the software changes what the system sees as maximum battery capacity. In one of your screenshots, you can see that it says the remaining charge is higher than the full charge capacity. So right now, your battery is 100% charged (94 Whr). The next time you use the system on battery and then plug it in again, it will only charge up to 87 Whr. As long as you have maximum lifespan mode on, the identified full charge capacity will always be less than the battery's actual full charge capacity. Windows and Power Manager will recognize that as 100% charged, even though it's actually 92% charged. And as a result, the battery will get less wear because it's not sitting at full charge.

On my year-old W530, the actual full battery capacity is now 87 Whr, and maximum lifespan mode reduces that to 77 Whr (88% of actual charge capacity). 77 Whr will show up as 100% charged unless I switch the battery mode to maximum runtime, at which point the capacity switches back to reading as 87 Whr.

Thinkpad W530, i7-3720QM, 1920x1080 screen, 32GB RAM, dual SSDs (Samsung 830, Crucial M4 mSATA), Quadro K2000M, 9-cell battery, DVD burner, backlit keyboard, Bluetooth, Intel 6300 wireless card
leopoldus
SCSI Port
Views: 10,266
Message 3 of 7

Re: automatically optimize for battery lifespan charges the batt to 100% in Power Manager settings

@Djembe wrote:

Yes, you missed something. When you select "maximize battery lifespan," the software changes what the system sees as maximum battery capacity. In one of your screenshots, you can see that it says the remaining charge is higher than the full charge capacity.  So right now, your battery is 100% charged (94 Whr). The next time you use the system on battery and then plug it in again, it will only charge up to 87 Whr.

Yes, I see now what you mean, thanks. My eye was not sharp enough to notice, that "Full charge capacity" is automatically set to the value 87,51 Whr instead of the actually full 94 Whr.

However the thing is not so simple too.

So right now, your battery is 100% charged (94 Whr). The next time you use the system on battery and then plug it in again, it will only charge up to 87 Whr.

Do you suppose, that it is my laptop's first charging cycle? Actually it is not so, I use this laptop more than for a week and have intentionally made several full cycles. So this relation 87/94 Whr we can see now is permanent. Does it  contradict your conclusion?

tquade
802.11n
Views: 10,237
Message 4 of 7

A full description can be found under Power Manager > Advanced > Battery > Battery Maintenance

Ted

Djembe
802.11n
Views: 10,244
Message 5 of 7

It doesn't matter how many charge cycles the battery has on it, just when you switch the mode in battery maintenance. If you have it set to maximize lifespan, the battery will charge to a lower percentage (somewhere around 90%, plus or minus a couple percentage points), but will show that percentage as "full" or 100% to the system. If you switch the mode back to fully charge, then the maximum capacity will change back to read the actual capacity of the battery.

The only way your situation would be a concern is if, after setting the battery to maximize battery lifetime, then using the system on battery and charging it up again, the battery still charged up to the full 94 Whr instead of the reduced number.
Thinkpad W530, i7-3720QM, 1920x1080 screen, 32GB RAM, dual SSDs (Samsung 830, Crucial M4 mSATA), Quadro K2000M, 9-cell battery, DVD burner, backlit keyboard, Bluetooth, Intel 6300 wireless card
gusat
HDMI
Views: 10,203
Message 6 of 7

To optimize the total charge of a LiIon bat (#cycles x Delta), I use my batteries only between 45% and max. 95%. Never lower, nor higher.

Steady state my batts are kept (for years of daily use) around 50% (+/- 5); only charged up to 95% when needed.

Nothing destroys a LiIon faster than keeping it fully charged at temperatures above 20C (70F), as usually a laptop is. However, dropping too often under 30-40% also cuts its life. Mitch
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,435
Message 7 of 7
Moved:

Poor battery performance on Lenovo K8 note

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors