Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petep50
Paper Tape
Views: 281
Message 1 of 6

**bleep** HDMI all sudden no work on P50

F windows 10 and your automatic updates.  why all of a sudden after working great on my p50 for all most a year HDMI just stops working.

at least I will get to rage at support.

DAVader
802.11n
Views: 274
Message 2 of 6

Re: **bleep** HDMI all sudden no work on P50

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Lenovo-P50-HDMI-not-working/m-p/2264525#...

Views: 270
Message 3 of 6

i appreciate your response.  but that post is from february. 

I've had this p50 since may done many updates, HDMI has always worked fantastic (schockingly).

All of a sudden nothing.

I'm at the point in my life where I don't want to spend the night unstalling drivers, etc. etc....

Is it time for me to get a MAC?  lol  been on thinkpads for 20 years.

DAVader
802.11n
Views: 237
Message 4 of 6

@petep50 wrote:

i appreciate your response.  but that post is from february. 

I've had this p50 since may done many updates, HDMI has always worked fantastic (schockingly).

All of a sudden nothing.

I'm at the point in my life where I don't want to spend the night unstalling drivers, etc. etc....

Is it time for me to get a MAC?  lol  been on thinkpads for 20 years.

Actually, the last post is from eight days ago.

Several users have reported problems with the HDMI port where the posted "solution" didn't work for them.

My P50's HDMI port failed two weeks ago. I tried the recommended solution, which involves updating the Thunderbolt software but that didn't solve the problem for me.

In the end, I just bought a miniDisplayPort => HDMI adapter to send the video signal to an external monitor, which is really all I needed, without throwing any more arrows at BIOS changes, driver updates, etc, etc (Usually, I don't perform BIOS updates unless is absolutely, positively, necessary)

Maybe the TB update or using an adapter cable will work for you.

Views: 211
Message 5 of 6

f that.

I bought this cause it had HDMI out.

SeniorGuru
Views: 192
Message 6 of 6

@petep50 wrote:

I bought this cause it had HDMI out.

Well, I'm guessing you're wanting to connect to an HDTV or monitor via HDMI.

For the price of a $7-10 miniDP->HDMI cable, you can get exactly the desired result (feeding a display device via HDMI target connector) and never again fight with issues stemming from the HDMI source connector on the P50.  Why is it at all relevant what the source connector is, HDMI or miniDP?

It is the HDMI target connector on your external display device which is crucial, while delivering both audio and video.  And it is completely invisible to the display device whether the source connection came from DP, miniDP, or HDMI, since they all provide the identical digital audio and video to the HDMI target connection.  It's just a matter of what cable you use.  No need to insist on HDMI->HDMI in the cable itself.

I understand HDMI "was working just fine" for six months, and suddenly it's no longer working.  But why fight it, when you can "win" and put the issue behind you forever for almost no cost by just changing the cable?

Personally, I've never used an HDMI->HDMI cable with my P70 when connecting to assorted HDTV's for playback of HDTV and videos.  I have a set of miniDP cables that I use with my P70: miniDP->DVI, miniDP->DP, and miniDP->HDMI.  This is the same as I have done for my W530, which didn't have an HDMI connector but only had miniDP. And it satisfies 100% of my external display device connectivity requirements, no matter what the target digital connector is.  That's the nice thing about DP.

Just my opinion. Of course I also use Win7 on my P70.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors