Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mr_paul_murray
What's DOS?
Views: 251
Message 1 of 4

complete loss of power. Battery?

my w500 is 3 years old. always used it plugged in. (irresponsible. killed battery. I know. Stupid)

couple months ago, unplugged comp, took out battery, took comp apart to clean out dust and stuff. I put it back together, plugged it in, NOTHING! no lights. power button completely failed. went to bed, next morning, pressed power button and it started. hah.

just recently, needed to move comp. turned it off... powered down... unplugged power supply in back and the thing freaked out... for some reason it tried to start up, of course failed cuz the battery has been dead for ages. comp failed at starting up then I think it started to reboot again, then gave me a "critical battery error" so I pushed the powerbutton and held it down to try and get it to stop trying to turn on. It looked like it turned off, but then as soon as I let go of the power button, it started trying to start up again, it made some angry noises, so I pulled the battery out of the back. then i took the comp to my intended location with not very much hope.

ok. If i plug it in without a battery in it, it will not start. If i plug the battery in and then plug in the adapter as well,, then it's also nothing. No lights. no power. nothing. thing won't start again. just like it did before, but this time it's been more than a night. might start up again in a couple days or so.

Will buying a new battery allow me to turn the comp on? It should start up just using the cable!!! The battery (here in wonderful China) ends up being a bit over 100USD. From my description, is there anybody that might be able to recognize whats going on? Thanks for the help. Redicule for taking poor of my battery is welcome... haha

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 239
Message 2 of 4

Re: complete loss of power. Battery?

1) as said, if your battery dies then it should not be left in the machine.

2) you can try to do this, take the battery and ac adapter off, then press the on/off button ten times in 30 sec intervals. Then plug in the AC adapter, try to see whether you can get the laptop startup.

3) also, from what you are describing, there could be something with the keyboard or the motherboard. But lets rule out the keyboard issue.

Take off the palmrest and then the keyboard, there is a yellow cmos button cell battery, take that off. Now plug in the ac adapter, does the laptop start normally?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
mr_paul_murray
What's DOS?
Views: 223
Message 3 of 4

I tried pressing the power button for 30 seconds ten times in a row, after having disconnected the battery and ac adapter. plugged it back in and it didn't work. opened it up and found that yellow battery. took it out... no good.

does that mean motherboard?

I took it to a shop and they said motherboard. they even took the motherboard out and showed that it had some gunk on it. i had originally doubted that it was a motherboard issue because... it was working fine... A year or so ago, it might have gotten some coffee in there somehow (which must be what that gunk was), but it never stopped working!

When it stopped working just recently It was hopelessly trying to boot on a dead battery and not automatically shutting off. So I yanked the battery out. Could having done so caused the motherboard any harm?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 203
Message 4 of 4

it is hard to say what exactly happened, but it is definitely a hardware problem from what you are describing, you could have blown some transistors.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors