Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adis
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,517
Message 1 of 8

downgrade rights to win 7 pro

Hi,

When buying P50 with win 10 pro, is it possible to downgrade it later to win 7 pro?

Is it necessary to buy a win7 pro rights ?
and if so, is it a regular win7 or a just a downgrade version ?

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,485
Message 2 of 8

Re: downgrade rights to win 7 pro

Hi,

It's my understanding that 10 Pro includes downgrade rights to 7 Pro.  That's the easy part.  The activation procedure is pretty strange.

You need to have 7 media.  Media isn't included in the "rights".  You install 7 and use a key that's already in use somewhere else.  That's necessary because a "made-up" key won't get far enough into the process to be given a phone 3 to call.  If you use a key that isn't in use, it gets used for activation and is wasted.  Like I said, strange.

https://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=rzVUOUemY5L

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,484
Message 3 of 8

I have not tried, but I would guess that the answer is "no" unless you buy it with windows 7 media at the time of the initial purchase.  Normally, pro versions include downgrade rights that allow you to install windows 7 from OEM media.  You cannot install a retail or enterprise version.  As an alternative, you can buy with windows 7 including the option to update to 10 initially, you can then create win 7 recovery disks.  You can then create an oem win10 USB stick here:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovorecovery

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,481
Message 4 of 8

FWIW I've done downgrade installs on a T450s and an X1 Yoga using MS media.  Activated both with an OEM key from my T420 without fuss.

I don't have a non-OEM MS Pro key to try but that MS downgrade article doesn't seem to make a distinction.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,479
Message 5 of 8

Another thing:

I'm not familiar with the P50 but if it has USB 3.0-only ports and/or an NVMe SSD, you will need to modify retail Win 7 media to get it to install.

UEFI installs also require retail media mods.

Z.

adis
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,451
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate your help!

And, wow, haven't imagined it is so complicated, I thought it was just a licensing issue.

I have an old W510 (not working) with 2 disks: SSD and a SATA in the CD bay. I bought it with win7 pro preinstalled on the SATA and later I added the SSD and installed on it the win7 from the recovery disks or the recovery partition.

So both the SSD and the SATA contains the recovery partition and a working win7 partition.

I got the W510's recovery files on DVDs and on a flash drive, and  the sticker with the key of that OEM version.

I have got the cables and caddy to connect SATA disks and the DVD to the usb ports.

I want to buy the P50 with 500GB HDD SATA (either with win10 pro, or downgrade to win7 pro).
I planned to add the SSD from the old computer and do on it a fresh install of win7.

So as far as I understand there are 3 issues –

1. Downgrade licensing/key –

It seems it is legal to downgrade from win 10 pro to win 7 pro.

zoltanthegypsy, according to your experience I guess the key (OEM) from my old W510 can be used,
Thanks! Haven't thought it could be reused.

2. Win7 media –

Can I use the recovery disks from the W510?

Or download from MS? with the new key of the win10 or the old key of win7?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

3. Installation -

The P50 doesn't have any USB2, just usb3.
Is it possible to install 2 disks in the P50.

If I add my old SSD to the new 500GB SATA with the preinstalled win7 or 10, can I put the win 7 installation files on the SATA drive and install from it on the SSD ?

Thanks!!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,447
Message 7 of 8

"according to your experience I guess the key (OEM) from my old W510 can be used,
Thanks! Haven't thought it could be reused."

Nope.  You aren't reusing the key.  You are using it to get far enough into the activation process to get a phone number to call to complete the activation.  I can't tell you why my T420 key activated automatically.  It may or may not work for you.  A retail key (already in use elsewhere) would presumably fail and offer a phone number.

At least on the US site the a P50 order can be customized to have Windows 7 preinstalled via downgrade rights.  If you really want to run '7 I'd suggest you go that route.  It will simplify things greatly.  A machine ordered that way will also come with a coupon allowing you to download Lenovo's Windows 10 preload, which you can save for possible future use.

As of the end of October MS isn't selling any more Windows 7 licenses to OEMs. When Lenovo runs out you won't be able to order '7 preinstalled.  If you decide to go that way - don't delay.

"Can I use the recovery disks from the W510?

Or download from MS? with the new key of the win10 or the old key of win7?"

I wouldn't expect the W510 recovery disks to install and activate.  Not something I've tried.

The MS Win 7 download requires entering a retail Windows 7 key prior to the download.  An OEM key like the one on your W won't work Smiley Sad  (FYI downloading Win 10 doesn't require entering a key)

"The P50 doesn't have any USB2, just usb3.
Is it possible to install 2 disks in the P50.

If I add my old SSD to the new 500GB SATA with the preinstalled win7 or 10, can I put the win 7 installation files on the SATA drive and install from it on the SSD ?"

If you want to install a retail Win 7 via USB ports you will have to modify the media.  A Lenovo P50 preload - or saved recovery media - won't have this problem.

Sorry, but I can't answer the remaining questions.

Z.

adis
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,441
Message 8 of 8

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

Nope.  You aren't reusing the key.  You are using it to get far enough into the activation process to get a phone number to call to complete the activation. 

Ok, that makes more sense.

At least on the US site the a P50 order can be customized to have Windows 7 preinstalled via downgrade rights.  If you really want to run '7 I'd suggest you go that route.  It will simplify things greatly.  A machine ordered that way will also come with a coupon allowing you to download Lenovo's Windows 10 preload, which you can save for possible future use.

I prefer to buy it with win7 preinstalled, but it might be easier to find better deals on BF with win10

As of the end of October MS isn't selling any more Windows 7 licenses to OEMs. When Lenovo runs out you won't be able to order '7 preinstalled.  If you decide to go that way - don't delay.

Thanks, good to know

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors